Re: [FH] probable heart disease, possible heart tumor?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2013
      Hi

      Steroids will push further into heart failure. Steroids only if life
      threatening without them, and lasix is essential to pull fluid if there are
      breathing difficulties. I agree a cardiologist is vital and if there is a
      possibility of asthma, go for the inhaled drugs instead, they're much safer.

    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2013
        Definitely not doing steroids. My friend was able to get funds and found a vet with more knowledge than last. Going in monday for BW and probably chest tap and u/s. Last vet suspected tumor. This all started with bloody diarreah and lethargy, cat went in, had xrays and depo shot. Vet saw possible tumor on heart but too much fluid to see clearly. Cat started having respiratory issues, which is when vet said asthma and would give another steroid shot but had to wait, was too soon. I told my friend no steroids if heart disease is suspected, asthma doesnt cause fluids. If was asthma, I'm very familiar with inhaled steroids. Her second cat got bloody diarreah right after first cat. I think its coccidia or giardia. Told her to have vet test. I wonder about heartworm? Could have caused mass in heart, and symptoms. Has anyone had a cat with a heart tumor? I've never heard of one, and I've had two HCM kitties.

        > Hi
        >
        > Steroids will push further into heart failure. Steroids only if life
        > threatening without them, and lasix is essential to pull fluid if there are
        > breathing difficulties. I agree a cardiologist is vital and if there is a
        > possibility of asthma, go for the inhaled drugs instead, they're much safer.
        >

        > Lyn

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
          Hi

          That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot a
          tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
          muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has that
          cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics are
          used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
          cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on Monday.

          I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.

        • psychoforkaatz
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2013
            So my friend took her cat to new vet today. An ultrasound was done and the vet saw no mass, no abnormalities of the heart. This confused her as last vet saw possible tumor by xray. New vet did full body xray. No fluids anywhere, and also no sign of the severe arthritis all over that other vet saw. However cat, who has only three legs, does have swelling in the stump of amputated leg.

            Friend still needs to discuss possibility of parasites that i suspect caused the original bloody diarrhea, which is now cleared up. Also cleared up in her other cat who got bloody diarrhea a few days after first cat.

            So, any thoughts on how cat can have mass on heart and chest and abdomen full of fluids, and less than a week later, no mass, no fluids?

            Kendall

            > Hi
            >
            > That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot a
            > tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
            > muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has that
            > cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics are
            > used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
            > cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on Monday.
            >
            > I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.
            >
            > Lyn

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 13, 2013
              Hi Kendall

              I can only suggest the abdomen fluid was diarrhoea? The ultrasound is the
              gold standard and its great news there is no heart failure. No idea about
              the disappearance of the mass...that's very strange indeed.

            • Debbie Loffredo
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 13, 2013
                Maybe first vet needs to clean x-ray machine or evaluate their technique?
                Honestly that is a bit scary I can think of many people being crushed and
                putting the cat down with such a diagnosis to spare it suffering.

                Second opinions!!!

                > So my friend took her cat to new vet today. An ultrasound was done and the
                > vet saw no mass, no abnormalities of the heart. This confused her as last
                > vet saw possible tumor by xray. New vet did full body xray. No fluids
                > anywhere, and also no sign of the severe arthritis all over that other vet
                > saw. However cat, who has only three legs, does have swelling in the stump
                > of amputated leg.
                >
                > Friend still needs to discuss possibility of parasites that i suspect
                > caused the original bloody diarrhea, which is now cleared up. Also cleared
                > up in her other cat who got bloody diarrhea a few days after first cat.
                >
                > So, any thoughts on how cat can have mass on heart and chest and abdomen
                > full of fluids, and less than a week later, no mass, no fluids?
                >
                > Kendall
                >
                > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi
                >>
                >> That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot
                >> tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
                >> muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has
                >> that
                >> cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics
                >> are
                >> used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
                >> cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on
                >> Monday.
                >>
                >> I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.
                >>
                >> Lyn
                >>
                >> _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)

              • Mary Sue Rubin
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 13, 2013
                  Has the new vet seen the old x-ray? I think a comparison of the two is
                  warranted, maybe by both vets, especially if the first vet is going to
                  continue to be used at some point.

                  Mary Sue