probable heart disease, possible heart tumor?

  • psychoforkaatz
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6 5:06 PM
      I have a friend who's 14 year old cat is having difficulty breathing and vet found fluid in chest and abdominal cavity by xray. Also said it looks like heart is misshapen and thinks there's a tumor in it. Refused to give lasix, says no fluid in lungs, tho i am doubting vets expertise on this issue, said lasix wont help and needs to know where fluid is coming from before doing anything. Friend is struggling for money right now. Also, cat was taken in last week for bloody diarreah and lethargy. Was given depo shot. She diagnosed asthma from lung xray and wants to give more steroid but it sounds like heart disease to me, not asthma. My girl, Tiger, died from same misdiagnosis and pushing of more and more steroids as she got worse and worse til finally vet said lungs clear but has severe heart disease. She couldnt even breathe in oxygen box. Has anyone ever had a cat with a heart tumor?

      Kendall, missing Tiger and Josie
      Helping out friends Footsie
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6 7:15 PM
          My friend is in process of posting right now herself. I told her absolutely no more steroids. She probably cant afford cardiologist right now, at least not u/s. I believe the cat needs lasix at very least to stablize until she can get to cardiologist.

          Kendall

          > You need to see a cardiologist asap. Do not give steroids! It might send her into heart failure.

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7 3:05 AM
            Hi

            Steroids will push further into heart failure. Steroids only if life
            threatening without them, and lasix is essential to pull fluid if there are
            breathing difficulties. I agree a cardiologist is vital and if there is a
            possibility of asthma, go for the inhaled drugs instead, they're much safer.

          • psychoforkaatz
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7 11:15 PM
              Definitely not doing steroids. My friend was able to get funds and found a vet with more knowledge than last. Going in monday for BW and probably chest tap and u/s. Last vet suspected tumor. This all started with bloody diarreah and lethargy, cat went in, had xrays and depo shot. Vet saw possible tumor on heart but too much fluid to see clearly. Cat started having respiratory issues, which is when vet said asthma and would give another steroid shot but had to wait, was too soon. I told my friend no steroids if heart disease is suspected, asthma doesnt cause fluids. If was asthma, I'm very familiar with inhaled steroids. Her second cat got bloody diarreah right after first cat. I think its coccidia or giardia. Told her to have vet test. I wonder about heartworm? Could have caused mass in heart, and symptoms. Has anyone had a cat with a heart tumor? I've never heard of one, and I've had two HCM kitties.

              > Hi
              >
              > Steroids will push further into heart failure. Steroids only if life
              > threatening without them, and lasix is essential to pull fluid if there are
              > breathing difficulties. I agree a cardiologist is vital and if there is a
              > possibility of asthma, go for the inhaled drugs instead, they're much safer.
              >

              > Lyn

            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8 3:40 AM
                Hi

                That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot a
                tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
                muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has that
                cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics are
                used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
                cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on Monday.

                I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.

              • psychoforkaatz
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 13 12:26 AM
                  So my friend took her cat to new vet today. An ultrasound was done and the vet saw no mass, no abnormalities of the heart. This confused her as last vet saw possible tumor by xray. New vet did full body xray. No fluids anywhere, and also no sign of the severe arthritis all over that other vet saw. However cat, who has only three legs, does have swelling in the stump of amputated leg.

                  Friend still needs to discuss possibility of parasites that i suspect caused the original bloody diarrhea, which is now cleared up. Also cleared up in her other cat who got bloody diarrhea a few days after first cat.

                  So, any thoughts on how cat can have mass on heart and chest and abdomen full of fluids, and less than a week later, no mass, no fluids?

                  Kendall

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot a
                  > tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
                  > muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has that
                  > cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics are
                  > used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
                  > cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on Monday.
                  >
                  > I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.
                  >
                  > Lyn

                • elfinmyst
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 13 3:05 AM
                    Hi Kendall

                    I can only suggest the abdomen fluid was diarrhoea? The ultrasound is the
                    gold standard and its great news there is no heart failure. No idea about
                    the disappearance of the mass...that's very strange indeed.

                  • Debbie Loffredo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 13 7:38 AM
                      Maybe first vet needs to clean x-ray machine or evaluate their technique?
                      Honestly that is a bit scary I can think of many people being crushed and
                      putting the cat down with such a diagnosis to spare it suffering.

                      Second opinions!!!

                      > So my friend took her cat to new vet today. An ultrasound was done and the
                      > vet saw no mass, no abnormalities of the heart. This confused her as last
                      > vet saw possible tumor by xray. New vet did full body xray. No fluids
                      > anywhere, and also no sign of the severe arthritis all over that other vet
                      > saw. However cat, who has only three legs, does have swelling in the stump
                      > of amputated leg.
                      >
                      > Friend still needs to discuss possibility of parasites that i suspect
                      > caused the original bloody diarrhea, which is now cleared up. Also cleared
                      > up in her other cat who got bloody diarrhea a few days after first cat.
                      >
                      > So, any thoughts on how cat can have mass on heart and chest and abdomen
                      > full of fluids, and less than a week later, no mass, no fluids?
                      >
                      > Kendall
                      >
                      > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hi
                      >>
                      >> That's great, the ultrasound will tell you exactly what's wrong and spot
                      >> tumour if there is one. I`ve never heard of one either, thickened heart
                      >> muscle may show as a mass? Blooody diarrhea is usually a parasite, has
                      >> that
                      >> cleared up yet? I`d definitely get a stool sample, different antibiotics
                      >> are
                      >> used for different bacteria/parasites like tritrichomonias. The
                      >> cardiologist should sort it all out and let us know the results on
                      >> Monday.
                      >>
                      >> I know nothing of heartworm, we don't have them in the UK.
                      >>
                      >> Lyn
                      >>
                      >> _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)

                    • Mary Sue Rubin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 13 7:56 AM
                        Has the new vet seen the old x-ray? I think a comparison of the two is
                        warranted, maybe by both vets, especially if the first vet is going to
                        continue to be used at some point.

                        Mary Sue