Hi newbie

  • tobyjg1030
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5 2:50 PM
      Hello all

      Thanks for letting me join,

      My names Sarah from Edinburgh
      Sadly my Birman cat Serena died last year 07-08-2012
      The night before she was happily, playing and getting treats with her
      Half sister tabatha
      (They have the same dad and their mothers are sisters)
      Woke up thankfully was my day off to find Serena failing fast getting colder, tongue sticking out turning blue,
      I rushed her to the vet not my normal vet sadly but the local one as I knew
      It was serious and I don't drive aaaggggrrr

      Nothing could be done for her and my only choice was to get her put to sleep
      Seemingly this is very hard to detect and very fatal, if there is a chance
      They will not live long and it's very pain

      Serena was only 9 and just missed her 10th birthday on the 25-08

      Tabatha is 9 now and her tenth birthday is on the 08-09
      And I'm getting quite nervous I so want her to live a very long life
      As we all want :) with our babies

      Tabs has had Epi since she was 2 years and on med since she was about 5 does very well last fit being in feb 2012 touch wood

      Anyway thanks again

      Sarah and angel Serena
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5 4:23 PM
        Hi Sarah,

        I am very sorry to hear of Serena, Cats are very good at hiding heart
        failure and the first symptom can be fatal. As you cats are half sisters, there
        is unfortunately a chance that if the father is the one who passed the
        gene, its 50% chance Tabatha has it too. HCM is a genetic condition. Please
        take Tabatha to the cardiologist for an ultrasound scan. They have one at the
        vet school in Scotland, mine go to Liverpool If she has HCM, a lot can be
        done to help and slow the progression.

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5 4:44 PM
          Hi

          Yes, unfortunately a lot of vets say not much can be done. But there are
          new drugs all the time and lots of things to help cats with HCM. My Trixi was
          diagnosed at 12 weeks old, and given 2 months to live. She reaches her 7th
          birthday this week:) Milli was given 2 years at most and that was 6 years
          ago. They have medications to help their hearts which slows down the
          thickening. When they went into heart failure, they added another tablet until
          stable. I have a good few heart cats and they love life, they eat, play,
          purr, go in the garden. Some days you wouldn't have a clue anything was
          wrong.

          Vet cardiologists are brilliant with feline HCM. There are several
          medications to slow it down and then others to ease heart failure. It's important
          to prevent clots with HCM as well. The only accurate way to diagnose is the
          ultrasound though, although your own vet might also hear a murmur.

          Lyn:)

        • keycmv
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7 3:16 PM
            Have an ultrasound done. But don't stress until you know the results. Our boy will be 20 next week and has HCM. Neither of his sisters had any heart issues.