RE: [FH] Possible international relocation

  • Pablo Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2013
      Check lufthansa cargo. Upto what i know it's excellent.

      > To: vllevan@...
      > CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > From: anagtz@...
      > Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0200
      > Subject: Re: [FH] Possible international relocation
      >
      > I have been relocated twice overseas and my Punky (who has 3 cardiopathies)
      > has traveled with me both times. Both approved by his cardiologist in
      > Mexico.
      > We are living in Spain now.
      > The first time we traveled by air Canada and the second time by Air France.
      > Needless to say, both times he has flew in cabin with me.
      > Let me know how can I be of any help.
      >
      > Best,
      > Ana
      > El ago 5, 2013 6:12 p.m., "Vickie LeVan" <vllevan@...> escribió:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Good Morning All,
      > >
      > > I have a dilema. My job is ending and I have been offered a great
      > > opportunity to move overseas. I have wanted to live in Europe for over 25
      > > years and this would be wonderful. My concern is obviously moving pets. We
      > > have 3 cats, two of them are great and while they would not enjoy the
      > > transatlantic flight would be safe through the journey. My baby, Illyana is
      > > a Persian (so we have the snub nuse breathing issues) and has
      > > cardiomyopathy. None of them would ever go via cargo. I have a friend
      > > to assist on the flight as it's my mom and I moving. But my concern is
      > > Illyana. I live in Florida and from here it's 8.5 hours or from JFK it's 7
      > > hours so it's long to be in a carrier and without a litter box. I looked
      > > into Cunard but they don't have any kennel space this year or next. Insane
      > > as it sounds I did look at a private plane but that is so way out of
      > > budget. Obviously, I would speak with her cardiologist and regular vet but
      > > before I bother them I wanted to
      > > come to you first. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, do I continue to
      > > search or just stay in the US?
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > Vickie

    • Vickie LeVan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2013
        Hi All,

        Thank you to those who have shared their experiences.

        I am moving to Spain, if this all works out. The final destination is Barcelona but there aren't direct flights there so thought we'd go into Madrid and train to Barca. Delta has flights from Atlanta to Madrid and Iberia get there from Miami. Either departure is the same driving distance from us so not worry with that. I'm just really not a fan of Iberia so leaning towards Delta. I also thought of OpenSkies into France as they seem to have the most flexible pet policy - they allow 6 in economy whereas Delta allows 4 and Iberia can't advise that information.

        My job is here until the end of the year, well the date is flexible. I work for an airline in their call center and the entire center is closing and there are multiple release dates with the closing in Dec. So I would be able to leave almost anytime after October. I'm not opposed to making two trips to get everyone over if needed but I have friends / colleagues who have offered to travel with one of the cats for a free airline ticket and as they will be unemployed also and will have some time to travel.

        My big concern is Illyana's breathing. She is a Persian she has a flat face with a really tiny nose. She sometimes sounds "snuffly" but I use a bit of saliene solution and that helps her. But I've heard stories about snub nosed animals having breathing issues due to the altitude. I'm still waiting on calls from her cardiologist. I'm not a fan of their office but they  are highly regarded and we don't have many options here. They just take forever to get back to you.

        Thanks again,
        Vickie