Enlarged left and right atrium

  • Mandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2013
      Hi all, on Saphie's scan last week , her main problem seems to be enlargement of the left and right atrium , is this normal for cats with RCM ? She's taking Fortekor , vetmedin , foresmide and was wondering what these drugs did to help this situation? Thanks

      Mandy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2013
        HI Mandy

        HCM usually affects the left side of the heart , but I`m not sure for RCM.
        It means she's at risk for both sided heart failure. Left sided affects the
        lungs with increased breathing usually noticed or a change in breathing at
        rest. Right sided backs fluids into the body so look for a swollen abdomen
        or paws. Of course this may be a long way off, some of my HCM cats have
        not progressed in years, but always best to be aware of symptoms. Fortekor
        and vetmedin help the heart to beat more normally, so there is less chance of
        heart failure. Frucimide (lasix) is a diuretic to pull any fluid from the
        lungs and body that may be from the heart failure.