B vitamin Supplement - dosage

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
      Hello
      Alot of cat owners give their cats a B vitamin supplement due to the fact that they are giving a diuretic to their cat which causes them to urinate more and thus possibly deplete the B vitamins in the cats.
      Since my cat is getting more furosamide now, .1 ml,twice daily of 50 mg/ml lasix injection I thought it might be prudent to add some b vitamins to his diet. I was wondering how much other cat owners are giving.
      Since B vitamins are water soluable it is hard to overdose since any excess would pass thru the urine but it might affect the flavor of his food ( I tasted it ...nicain tastes nasty ) I want to give as little as possible.

      Thanks

      james
    • Leigh Arrathoon
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
        Dear Jim,
        As a vitamin freak for almost 40 years, and a giver a B-vitamins to
        all my cats for 10 years, I'm here to tell you that B-vitamins are not
        only wonderful, but necessary for all cats. It calms them (pantothenic
        acid) and makes their coats beautiful, besides fortifying their immune
        systems. I use Mega B-Stress by Solaray, 1 capsule per cat. I empty the
        capsule into a little cup, with 10 other vitamins (including Super
        Ubiquinol with mitochondrial support, Vitamin E - d'alpha-tocopherols,
        dandelion root [prevents swelling], Feline Immune System Support, Hepatic
        and Whole body support for one cat, renal support for another cat, B-6 for
        one cat [because I don't use Lasix, and B-6 is a natural diuretic, with no
        side effects, like Lasix--and I am not advocating giving up Lasix, as it
        might be more effective - I don't know, but it does have the ability to
        collapse all the cells, which B-6 does not], Lysine, Acetyl L-Carnitine
        [for the same cat to help lose weight] and FloraSmart [probiotic with no
        calcium]. When all of these are out of the capsule or ground up [I have a
        pill grinder], I mix them with Gerber's baby food [ham, turkey, or beef],
        or, in one case, bottled water. I take each cat into the bath tub, and
        administer it by hand [I do the liquefied one with a dropper]. It smells
        hideous, but all of my cats love me and patiently put up with the vitamin
        thing. I always give them each at least four droppers of bottled water
        after the vitamins, and they have fountains to drink from too, which they
        do, because cats love the waterfall thing.

        Anyway, they're all very healthy and happy cats. They don't hate me;
        in fact, they all kiss me, follow me around like puppy dogs, sleep with
        me, and require cuddling, probably because I hold them in my lap when I'm
        giving the vitamins. I do remember that 12 years ago, when I started using
        vitamins with cats, I made quite a mess, but I've gotten very handy with
        it. Only my big fellow, who has a snow white face, requires that his face
        be washed once a week, with a toothbrush and some cat shampoo. I also brush
        all their teeth every day after the vitamins.

        All my best,
        Leigh

        On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Jim <jim64299@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello
        > Alot of cat owners give their cats a B vitamin supplement due to the fact
        > that they are giving a diuretic to their cat which causes them to urinate
        > more and thus possibly deplete the B vitamins in the cats.
        > Since my cat is getting more furosamide now, .1 ml,twice daily of 50 mg/ml
        > lasix injection I thought it might be prudent to add some b vitamins to his
        > diet. I was wondering how much other cat owners are giving.
        > Since B vitamins are water soluable it is hard to overdose since any
        > excess would pass thru the urine but it might affect the flavor of his food
        > ( I tasted it ...nicain tastes nasty ) I want to give as little as possible.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > james

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
          Hi, Jim.
          All my cats get vitm. supplementation...whether they have a specific health condition or not. I have a special home prepared recipe, and in that mix I do add a combination of specially selected vitamins [it's called ''healthy mix'']. But I give daily doses of other supplements which include extra powdered taurine and lysine. Also dose daily in liquid form the following... coq10, colloidal silver, acetyl l-carnitine. As with Leigh's cats, none of mine feel this is a hardship.
          The ''Heathy Mix'' includes:

          Marianna

        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
            Thought you'd like to see what supplements go into the home prepped meals...
            *Healthy Mix recipe: all dry ingredients...
            4 cups any good quality nutritional yeast powder
            2 cups lecithin granules
            ½ cup kelp powder
            1/4 cup powdered eggshells [recipe for powdered eggshells to come, if you’d like it]
            3000 mgs of Vitm. C, preferably with bioflavonoids included

            Liquid ingredients:
            liquid vitm E
            Wild Salmon oil

            Marianna