Re: [FH] Re: Ondansetron

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
      While cats are not people, Ondansetron (Zofran) was given often when my
      Mom had chemo in the hospital. By often I mean at least once a day ,
      everyday during her 60 days of treatment. She had heart failure from
      the chemo as well.

      Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
      There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
      silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
      Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
      from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Carol wrote:

      > Yes, I know about the cautions for Ondansetron. I know that most of
      > the drugs that are for anti-nausea have some precautions for heart
      > patients. We decided to give it to Misty and our angel Snowball and
      > take the risk, because their nausea was so bad, that it was the only
      > relief for them.
      > It's a double edged sword with heart kitties. Sometimes we have to
      > choose one bad thing over another to keep them comfortable.
      >
      > Carol

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
        Carol, she's been getting it for well over a year, so I think 1mg bid is okay for her.  It's so hard to tell what's going on.  Her heart seems to be holding steady, I'm getting arrythmia at times but sometimes regular, and her breathing has been good.  I'm still at 3-4 drops of the ubiquinol, worrying that the olive oil might upset her.  She's eating pretty much 100% on her own most days, but not all.  Nausea?  Acid?  Uremia?  I just keep balancing and supporting her choice to keep living.  She has lots of spirit in her eyes, except when the eating thing seems to be off balance.  Then there are the itchy ears....it's tough getting old.

        -Lee and May