Re: Pulmonary edema.....is chest xray the only definitive

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29 3:41 AM
      Hi

      A cat can have heart failure and edema and show no symptoms. By the time
      they show increased breathing and symptoms it's usually serious. The
      maintenance dose keeps this at bay which is why they need it. Unfortunately early
      heart failure can often only be detected by xray or ultrasound. Cats are
      very good at hiding illness.

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29 5:56 AM
        Thanks Lyn...
        I guess Ill try to keep him at his maintaince dose of .1 ml lasix (50mg/ml) twice a day which works out to 5 mg of furosamide in the morning and 5 mg at night.
        Its not a problem injecting him,Ive been doing it for 2 years at smaller doses...but he seems more lethargic since i upped the dose...little things such as grooming himself after eating...he stopped and has less energy..his lungs are clear now...so the cardiologist doesnt want me lowering his dose without telling her...the thing is he had more energy and joie de vivre when he was walking around with pulmonary edema (which I didnt know he had)...i wasnt even going to bring him into the cardiologist for his 6 month check..cause i saw no symptoms of edema such as increase of respiration which was 26 breaths per minute,coughing etc...i was going to wait until the Fall to bring him in...for a check..but decided i shouldnt let it go past 6 months for his heart checkup
        i think the lesson here is the only way to know for sure if edema is present is thru chest xray and that pulmonary edema may be present(fluid in lungs) without any physical symptoms...

        > Hi
        >
        > A cat can have heart failure and edema and show no symptoms. By the time
        > they show increased breathing and symptoms it's usually serious. The
        > maintenance dose keeps this at bay which is why they need it. Unfortunately early
        > heart failure can often only be detected by xray or ultrasound. Cats are
        > very good at hiding illness.
        >
        > Lyn

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30 6:47 AM
          Jim, Lyn,

          I don't know, but just for thought, if he seems less energetic with the regular 5mg lasix, perhaps he is a bit dehydrated?  It took me a while to learn, and correct me if I'm wrong, that edema can't be treated with less fluid going in.  Lasix is needed to help fluid pass through.  But fluid is needed for life.  Thus May gets 25cc lrs twice a day, oral water, and some syringed broth.  Perhaps some more oral water, or water added to food would help your guy.

          -Lee and May