Re: [FH] brusing/bruising

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28 8:04 PM
      Me too. Thank you Marianna!!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: mmayer11 <mmayer11@...>
      To: thegapgal <thegapgal@...>; feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sun, Jul 28, 2013 8:00 pm
      Subject: Re: [FH] brusing/bruising

      Yes, bruising or more likely a hematoma occurred at the injection site, probably due to the Plavix. It happens to human patients at the injection site as well. Quite common. Did not know...as Cindi mentioned, that there is a way to avoid it.

      "Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Some health care practitioners may advocate heat as ...

      read full answer on medicinenet.com

      Hope blood work comes back as non remarkable.

      Marianna

      Hello All,

      Yesterday I took Sheba to the vet due to weight loss. The vet was not concerned about diabetes, but was concerned about her pancreas. She ordered a complete blood work, urinalysis and pancreas test. The in house snap test showed her pancreas was within normal range along with a electrolyte panel (potassium, sodium, calcium etc).

      So indicators are good, but all is still going to the lab for more comprehensive testing.

      This morning while bathing her I noticed her neck was purple near the area where the blood draw occurred. Is this a bruise due to the Plavix she is currently taking? If so, do I need to do anything to it?

      She seems totally unaffected by it. She is snoozing on her THRONE (my cal king bed) under her favorite ceiling fan. She even weighed a little heavier today :)

      But I am concerned about the purple mark on her neck. Do I need to be??

      Love and kitty kisses,
      Jordan and Sheba

    • Cindi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 28 8:10 PM
        Keeping pressure on the injection site will minimize the chance of
        forming a bruise or hematoma, but not avoid it. They can still occur
        even with healthy patients.

        Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
        There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
        silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
        Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
        from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

        On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM, mmayer11@... wrote:

        > Yes, bruising or more likely a hematoma occurred at the injection
        > site, probably due to the Plavix. It happens to human patients at the
        > injection site as well. Quite common. Did not know...as Cindi
        > mentioned, that there is a way to avoid it.
        >

        > "Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE
        > (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Some health care practitioners
        > may advocate heat as ...
        >
        > read full answer on medicinenet.com
        >
        > Hope blood work comes back as non remarkable.
        >
        > Marianna
        >

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Yesterday I took Sheba to the vet due to weight loss. The vet was
        > not concerned about diabetes, but was concerned about her pancreas.
        > She ordered a complete blood work, urinalysis and pancreas test.
        > The in house snap test showed her pancreas was within normal range
        > along with a electrolyte panel (potassium, sodium, calcium etc).
        >
        > So indicators are good, but all is still going to the lab for more
        > comprehensive testing.
        >
        > This morning while bathing her I noticed her neck was purple near the
        > area where the blood draw occurred. Is this a bruise due to the
        > Plavix she is currently taking? If so, do I need to do anything to
        > it?
        >
        > She seems totally unaffected by it. She is snoozing on her THRONE
        > (my cal king bed) under her favorite ceiling fan. She even weighed a
        > little heavier today :)
        >
        > But I am concerned about the purple mark on her neck. Do I need to
        > be??
        >
        > Love and kitty kisses,
        > Jordan and Sheba

      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 28 8:12 PM
          Thanks so much Cindi!!

          Keeping pressure on the injection site will minimize the chance of
          forming a bruise or hematoma, but not avoid it. They can still occur
          even with healthy patients.

          Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
          There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
          silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
          Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
          from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

          On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM, mmayer11@... wrote:

          > Yes, bruising or more likely a hematoma occurred at the injection
          > site, probably due to the Plavix. It happens to human patients at the
          > injection site as well. Quite common. Did not know...as Cindi
          > mentioned, that there is a way to avoid it.
          >

          > "Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE
          > (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Some health care practitioners
          > may advocate heat as ...
          >
          > read full answer on medicinenet.com
          >
          > Hope blood work comes back as non remarkable.
          >
          > Marianna
          >

          > Hello All,
          >
          > Yesterday I took Sheba to the vet due to weight loss. The vet was
          > not concerned about diabetes, but was concerned about her pancreas.
          > She ordered a complete blood work, urinalysis and pancreas test.
          > The in house snap test showed her pancreas was within normal range
          > along with a electrolyte panel (potassium, sodium, calcium etc).
          >
          > So indicators are good, but all is still going to the lab for more
          > comprehensive testing.
          >
          > This morning while bathing her I noticed her neck was purple near the
          > area where the blood draw occurred. Is this a bruise due to the
          > Plavix she is currently taking? If so, do I need to do anything to
          > it?
          >
          > She seems totally unaffected by it. She is snoozing on her THRONE
          > (my cal king bed) under her favorite ceiling fan. She even weighed a
          > little heavier today :)
          >
          > But I am concerned about the purple mark on her neck. Do I need to
          > be??
          >
          > Love and kitty kisses,
          > Jordan and Sheba

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28 8:50 PM
            Rose,

            My post stated that the in-house snap test was only used as an indicator "but all is still going to the lab for more
            comprehensive testing". i am expecting a call from my vet tomorrow with the labs results.
            This is simply the first line of defense. I am confident an ultrasound will be done, if necessary.

            Thanks for your concern,

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 28 8:54 PM
              I forgot to mention, the fPLI test was ordered by the vet and was sent to the lab, along with the other bloodwork and urinalysis.