Re: Restrictive Cardiomyopathy

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
      Taca,

      Sounds like moe is doing well.  from my research when May got on her heart drugs was that enalapril was not good for the kidneys, for some reason I forget, but that benazapril, another ace inhibitor used with lasix was not processed via the kidneys as much, so was better for kidney cats.  May was first prescribed enalapril but I asked to switch to benazapril and the cardiologist agreed fully.

      -Lee and May

      Re: Restrictive Cardiomyopathy
      Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 am (PDT) . Posted by:
      "tafoster4000" tafoster4000
      My Moe, 16yr old cornish rex, was diagnosed with severe RCM
      a year ago Feb. He was in congestive heart failure at the time.
      Prognosis was poor, given a few months. But here he is almost 1 1/2yrs
      later, doing OK but now battling CRF along with his RCM. Having to
      balance his lasix dose with getting him to drink more later (very soupy
      canned food, can't be given subq's).

      He is on lasix, pimobenden, plavix, enalapril, and potassium for his
      heart. Also takes felimazole for hyperT and azodyl, AlOH for his
      kidneys. You might ask your vet about pimobendan, it is recommended for
      RCM cats. I think it made a huge difference for Moe.

      So one can't predict how long your Saphie will be here, I think alot
      depends on how your cat responds to the medication and Moe had a good
      response.

      Taca