Re: Ondansetron

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28 12:45 PM
      is ondansetron a steriod?

      ================

      4b
      Re: Ondansetron
      Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:
      elfinmyst
      Hi Yuki

      Any steroid isnt good for a heart cat. If Zoey was checked she likely has a
      flappy valve which a few of my cats have and isn't at risk for heart
      failure at the moment. Toby had a murmur when stressed too and never devveloped
      HCM over 5 years of echos. Is it to stop her calling? Calling can be very
      stressful too. I would ring the cardiologist you saw for advice.

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 28 1:10 PM
        No, Ondansetron (Zofran) is an anti-emetic(anti nausea) medication. It works in the brain.

        http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/cancer/medicines/zofran.html

        Carol

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29 6:08 AM
          Hi Carol,
          The link you listed said ondansetron is to be used with caution in people with arrhythmia.  May has arrhythmia  and I've been giving 1mg ondans am and pm for over a year now.   Every now and then I skip some doses to see if she really needs it, and I always come back around to resuming the 1mg dose.

          Our cardiologist is aware of the ondans and has never suggested otherwise.  So I'm assuming this caution is not as serious as some.

          Thoughts?

          -Lee and May

        • Debbie Loffredo
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29 6:54 AM
            Hi
            My thoughts, I don't know about ondansetron, but with many other drugs (or
            even certain foods) we can not use the side effects/reaction in one species
            to another. Some types animals are extremely sensitive to the same drug so
            the dosage is vastly different. An example I can think of is a common
            sedative used in dogs, cats & horses. Goats are extremely sensitive to it
            and get a tiny dose compared to a cat/dog. Also think about the effects of
            onions, garlic, avocado and chocolate on pets.

            The other thing is sometimes the benefits out way the risks (and risks may
            be low as well). Look at all the extra-label drug use. Another example,
            Vetmedin says not for HCM yet the cardiologists are having great success
            with it and owners report it as well.

            Read up on the drugs facts but the best resources I have found for my
            animals are groups such as this where, people are actually living with the
            disease.

            All that said I believe ondansetron has been popular (effective) for heart
            kitties, I remember reading about it's use, search the achieves for posts?
            When you are next talking to the cardiologist you can just bring it up that
            you were reading about the drugs your cat it taking and was curious since
            this was a caution in people is it a concern in cats?

            Anyway this is just how I would approch/think about things.

            Deb and Angel Cat-man

            > The link you listed said ondansetron is to be used with caution in people
            > with arrhythmia. May has arrhythmia and I've been giving 1mg ondans am
            > and pm for over a year now. Every now and then I skip some doses to see
            > if she really needs it, and I always come back around to resuming the 1mg
            > dose.
            >
            > Our cardiologist is aware of the ondans and has never suggested otherwise.
            > So I'm assuming this caution is not as serious as some.
            >
            > Thoughts?
            >
            > -Lee and May

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29 10:28 AM
              Yes, I know about the cautions for Ondansetron. I know that most of the drugs that are for anti-nausea have some precautions for heart patients. We decided to give it to Misty and our angel Snowball and take the risk, because their nausea was so bad, that it was the only relief for them.

              It's a double edged sword with heart kitties. Sometimes we have to choose one bad thing over another to keep them comfortable.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29 10:53 AM
                While cats are not people, Ondansetron (Zofran) was given often when my
                Mom had chemo in the hospital. By often I mean at least once a day ,
                everyday during her 60 days of treatment. She had heart failure from
                the chemo as well.

                Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

                On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Carol wrote:

                > Yes, I know about the cautions for Ondansetron. I know that most of
                > the drugs that are for anti-nausea have some precautions for heart
                > patients. We decided to give it to Misty and our angel Snowball and
                > take the risk, because their nausea was so bad, that it was the only
                > relief for them.
                > It's a double edged sword with heart kitties. Sometimes we have to
                > choose one bad thing over another to keep them comfortable.
                >
                > Carol

              • r schu
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29 1:58 PM
                  Carol, she's been getting it for well over a year, so I think 1mg bid is okay for her.  It's so hard to tell what's going on.  Her heart seems to be holding steady, I'm getting arrythmia at times but sometimes regular, and her breathing has been good.  I'm still at 3-4 drops of the ubiquinol, worrying that the olive oil might upset her.  She's eating pretty much 100% on her own most days, but not all.  Nausea?  Acid?  Uremia?  I just keep balancing and supporting her choice to keep living.  She has lots of spirit in her eyes, except when the eating thing seems to be off balance.  Then there are the itchy ears....it's tough getting old.

                  -Lee and May