[FH] Re: Restrictive Cardiomyopathy

  • Mandy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26 9:50 PM
      Thank you so much for your help Mary Sue and Taca, we are only on day 2 of the medication and Saphie's breathing is almost back to normal, she's only 6 so feel she is being robbed of her life at the moment , so any advice is most welcome. We will be back at vets the end of the week for bloods so will ask about the Pimobendan . Can they take CoQ 10?

      Mandy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Sue Rubin" <msrubin@...> wrote:

      > I agree with Taca that it is a good idea to ask the vet about pimobendan
      > (Vetmedin). My Esther, now 18 ½, was diagnosed in early February with
      > restrictive-like cardiomyopathy and CHF. Her CM has some non-restrictive
      > like qualities to it, but otherwise is much like RCM. She is on Vetmedin,
      > benazepril, Lasix, aspirin, and extra taurine in her food. She is doing
      > great now. She is active, eats well, even plays sometimes. People don't
      > believe her age. The vets gave her 6 months to live. Six months will be up
      > next week and I don't think she is about to die, though I realize it could
      > happen at any time due to sudden heart failure or a blood clot. Given that
      > possibility, I treasure every moment she is here. Her last echo showed
      > slight improvement in heart size and leaking valves. Her blood pressure
      > remains good, her breaths per minute have remained under 20, her heart rate
      > is normal, and her blood work is fine.
      >

      > Mary Sue

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27 7:13 AM
        Mandy,

        I'm glad to hear that Saphie's breathing is returning to normal. I don't use
        CqQ10. Others on this list do for some heart conditions, with good results.
        My cardiologist said it couldn't hurt, but he doesn't automatically
        recommend it. He just cautioned that it is extremely light sensitive and
        must be handled accordingly.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28 12:48 PM
          Taca,

          Sounds like moe is doing well.  from my research when May got on her heart drugs was that enalapril was not good for the kidneys, for some reason I forget, but that benazapril, another ace inhibitor used with lasix was not processed via the kidneys as much, so was better for kidney cats.  May was first prescribed enalapril but I asked to switch to benazapril and the cardiologist agreed fully.

          -Lee and May

          Re: Restrictive Cardiomyopathy
          Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 am (PDT) . Posted by:
          "tafoster4000" tafoster4000
          My Moe, 16yr old cornish rex, was diagnosed with severe RCM
          a year ago Feb. He was in congestive heart failure at the time.
          Prognosis was poor, given a few months. But here he is almost 1 1/2yrs
          later, doing OK but now battling CRF along with his RCM. Having to
          balance his lasix dose with getting him to drink more later (very soupy
          canned food, can't be given subq's).

          He is on lasix, pimobenden, plavix, enalapril, and potassium for his
          heart. Also takes felimazole for hyperT and azodyl, AlOH for his
          kidneys. You might ask your vet about pimobendan, it is recommended for