Ondansetron

  • zoeytheragdoll
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
      Is Ondansetron safe for cats with heart murmurs? Zoey doesn't have HCM, but has a heart murmur when her heart rate is up. Got it checked from a cardiologist via echocardiogram in June.

      Yuki and Zoey
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
        Hi Yuki

        Any steroid isnt good for a heart cat. If Zoey was checked she likely has a
        flappy valve which a few of my cats have and isn't at risk for heart
        failure at the moment. Toby had a murmur when stressed too and never devveloped
        HCM over 5 years of echos. Is it to stop her calling? Calling can be very
        stressful too. I would ring the cardiologist you saw for advice.

      • Elise Eisfelder
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
          I have been giving ondansetron for nausea to Max who has a level 2/3 murmur off and in for four years and to another before him without any issues. Uncontrolled nausea can further stress your cat and if not enough is eaten HL.

          Elise

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Elise Eisfelder
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
            Forgot to add to check with your vet.

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Elise Eisfelder
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
              Ondansetron isn't a steroid but rather for nausea so I'm confused why you mention steroids?

              Elise

              Sent from my iPhone
            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                Hey

                Sorry, I misread it as the drug used in the UK to give to queens to stop
                them calling. Blame the heat!:)

              • r schu
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 28, 2013
                  is ondansetron a steriod?

                  ================

                  4b
                  Re: Ondansetron
                  Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                  elfinmyst
                  Hi Yuki

                  Any steroid isnt good for a heart cat. If Zoey was checked she likely has a
                  flappy valve which a few of my cats have and isn't at risk for heart
                  failure at the moment. Toby had a murmur when stressed too and never devveloped
                  HCM over 5 years of echos. Is it to stop her calling? Calling can be very
                  stressful too. I would ring the cardiologist you saw for advice.

                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 28, 2013
                    No, Ondansetron (Zofran) is an anti-emetic(anti nausea) medication. It works in the brain.

                    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/cancer/medicines/zofran.html

                    Carol

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Hi Carol,
                      The link you listed said ondansetron is to be used with caution in people with arrhythmia.  May has arrhythmia  and I've been giving 1mg ondans am and pm for over a year now.   Every now and then I skip some doses to see if she really needs it, and I always come back around to resuming the 1mg dose.

                      Our cardiologist is aware of the ondans and has never suggested otherwise.  So I'm assuming this caution is not as serious as some.

                      Thoughts?

                      -Lee and May

                    • Debbie Loffredo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                        Hi
                        My thoughts, I don't know about ondansetron, but with many other drugs (or
                        even certain foods) we can not use the side effects/reaction in one species
                        to another. Some types animals are extremely sensitive to the same drug so
                        the dosage is vastly different. An example I can think of is a common
                        sedative used in dogs, cats & horses. Goats are extremely sensitive to it
                        and get a tiny dose compared to a cat/dog. Also think about the effects of
                        onions, garlic, avocado and chocolate on pets.

                        The other thing is sometimes the benefits out way the risks (and risks may
                        be low as well). Look at all the extra-label drug use. Another example,
                        Vetmedin says not for HCM yet the cardiologists are having great success
                        with it and owners report it as well.

                        Read up on the drugs facts but the best resources I have found for my
                        animals are groups such as this where, people are actually living with the
                        disease.

                        All that said I believe ondansetron has been popular (effective) for heart
                        kitties, I remember reading about it's use, search the achieves for posts?
                        When you are next talking to the cardiologist you can just bring it up that
                        you were reading about the drugs your cat it taking and was curious since
                        this was a caution in people is it a concern in cats?

                        Anyway this is just how I would approch/think about things.

                        Deb and Angel Cat-man

                        > The link you listed said ondansetron is to be used with caution in people
                        > with arrhythmia. May has arrhythmia and I've been giving 1mg ondans am
                        > and pm for over a year now. Every now and then I skip some doses to see
                        > if she really needs it, and I always come back around to resuming the 1mg
                        > dose.
                        >
                        > Our cardiologist is aware of the ondans and has never suggested otherwise.
                        > So I'm assuming this caution is not as serious as some.
                        >
                        > Thoughts?
                        >
                        > -Lee and May

                      • Carol
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Yes, I know about the cautions for Ondansetron. I know that most of the drugs that are for anti-nausea have some precautions for heart patients. We decided to give it to Misty and our angel Snowball and take the risk, because their nausea was so bad, that it was the only relief for them.

                          It's a double edged sword with heart kitties. Sometimes we have to choose one bad thing over another to keep them comfortable.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                            While cats are not people, Ondansetron (Zofran) was given often when my
                            Mom had chemo in the hospital. By often I mean at least once a day ,
                            everyday during her 60 days of treatment. She had heart failure from
                            the chemo as well.

                            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                            silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                            Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

                            On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Carol wrote:

                            > Yes, I know about the cautions for Ondansetron. I know that most of
                            > the drugs that are for anti-nausea have some precautions for heart
                            > patients. We decided to give it to Misty and our angel Snowball and
                            > take the risk, because their nausea was so bad, that it was the only
                            > relief for them.
                            > It's a double edged sword with heart kitties. Sometimes we have to
                            > choose one bad thing over another to keep them comfortable.
                            >
                            > Carol

                          • r schu
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Carol, she's been getting it for well over a year, so I think 1mg bid is okay for her.  It's so hard to tell what's going on.  Her heart seems to be holding steady, I'm getting arrythmia at times but sometimes regular, and her breathing has been good.  I'm still at 3-4 drops of the ubiquinol, worrying that the olive oil might upset her.  She's eating pretty much 100% on her own most days, but not all.  Nausea?  Acid?  Uremia?  I just keep balancing and supporting her choice to keep living.  She has lots of spirit in her eyes, except when the eating thing seems to be off balance.  Then there are the itchy ears....it's tough getting old.

                              -Lee and May