x rays

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
      I hope this isn't a silly question. I know that vets are hesitant to sedate heart kitties in order to take x-rays. Is there any reason why we cannot assist the vet in taking an x-ray with no sedation? I know that I could hold Tigger still enough long enough for them to take an x-ray. I could put on the apron and all the other shield protection, and just leave my hands unprotected, and hold him in place while the x-ray is being taken. Would that work?

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
        I think that is a great solution, assuming the vet is open to it. There
        might be legal issues. I am lucky in that all of my animals are able to be
        x-rayed without sedation, so I've never had to ask if I could be present.
        With echocardiograms, I am encouraged to be present and stroke and talk to
        my cat during the procedure.

        Mary Sue

        Is there any reason why we cannot assist the vet in taking an x-ray with no
        sedation?

      • bubbacat12003
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
          I do the same thing. I just put on the "lead dress" and hold my kids myself. It's a much better alternative to either sedation or having my furchild flip out, which has happened.

          Jo
          ____________________

          I hope this isn't a silly question. I know that vets are hesitant to sedate heart kitties in order to take x-rays. Is there any reason why we cannot assist the vet in taking an x-ray with no sedation? I know that I could hold Tigger still enough long enough for them to take an x-ray. I could put on the apron and all the other shield protection, and just leave my hands unprotected, and hold him in place while the x-ray is being taken. Would that work?

          _._,___

        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
            It certainly can work. I've done it. It really depends on the clinic. I have assisted at 24/7 board certified full service vet hospitals and at small clinic. In any case none of my cats or dogs for that matter have to be sedated whether I assist or not. I would find a clinic that is open to your helping or not sedating regardless.

            Marianna

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
              You might have to sign that you are doing it at your own risk, but if you
              can find a clinic that would be excellent. I`m sure parents do it for young
              children.