Patti's Nell - CRF and now CHF

  • kayleigh11f
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      Hello,
      My Nellie is 20 years old and has had CRF with hypertension for about 3 years now. She's been very stable on fluids every other day and Amlodipine until about 2months ago. She needed an increase in her Amlodipine and then Benazepril was added as she was spilling protein in her urine.

      Since then she's been hospitalized twice. Once for dehydration so we increased her fluid frequency to 5x/week but then she went into Congestive heart failure and was hospitalized the 2nd time. Her abdomen was very enlarged and she had edema in her legs

      Now we have tweaked her fluids back to 3x/week and added lasix - I noticed this AM - her tummy is rounder again. We are giving her potassium supps which she hates and her other meds are plavix, gabapentin (for arthritic pain). She looks at me now as if I am torturing her all the time.

      Her labs are all very stable. BUN, Creat, Hct, Mg, Phos - are all in quite normal levels.

      I sleep with her every nite so to keep a close eye on her. My husband and I
      buy her whatever food she'll eat and she DOES eat good. But she looks so tired.
      She used to still like to take a little walk around the house - but now she mainly lays on the bed in one place except to get up and eat/pee. She's alert and purrs sometimes.

      I've been posting in Tanya's CKD support group on yahoo and I was referred here.
      And on Tanya's site it says that the prognosis of CRF with CHF is typically only a
      few weeks. PLEASE does anyone have any input. I'm having trouble thinking it all
      clearly. We have a follow up this Wednesday and I'm thinking maybe it's time to
      let Nellie be free. We love her so much but I'm not sure what to do. Do any of you here deal with both of these issues - the CHF and the CRF.

      > thank you for listening. My heart aches so bad tonite.

      Patti and Nell
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
        Hello Patti

        A lot here deal with both issues and with success. The most vital thing is
        for her to see a cardiologist if possible. With fluid in the body cavities,
        that is right sided heart failure and the drugs she on will help both
        heart and kidneys. Can you tell us her doses.

        It is a balance, but the heart has to come first. Giving fluids is always
        going to put a load on the heart. If her kidney results are in normal level,
        that's great news, and it may be possible to control the heart failure
        with lasix. It is normal for them to be sleepy after introducing benazepril.
        It may be her blood pressure is now too low so has that been tested recently?

        As for the final act of kindness, she will let you know. When you look into
        her eyes and if you see she has had enough, it is time. That is an
        individual choice for everyone, but if she is alert, eating and purring, I
        wouldn't say it is now.

        Be careful with the potassium, unless she is on a high lasix dose or losing
        it, you can overdose. Has this been checked too?

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
          Patti, and Nell,

          I second what Lyn said below.  May has been dealing with crf since fall '09 and started heart issues 6/12 during a fluid retention episode and was diagnosed with hcm in Feb/13.  It's been alot of work, balancing the two, but the lasix helps and I give her fluids via a syringe to measure the exact amount.  A cardiologist is important, if you can do it.  I found that once her heart felt better, she ate more and seems to be better.  But it's a balancing act, and I am constantly making sure her quality of life is worth it, and so far it is.

          Please do ask whatever you're wondering about to this list.

          Best of luck.

          -Lee and May