Rhapsody didn't make it after all

  • nyppsi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
      <<Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after
      running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to save him. I
      am devastated. Jim Sinclair jisincla@...>>

      Jim,

      Been there, done that, many times. I've lost all but four of my fifteen
      cats, many due to similar emergency situations, and I truly feel your pain. I
      currently have a 15 y.o. HCM/RCM kitty who I adore, and who shows no
      clinical symptoms and acts healthy ..... but he is a ticking time bomb. I love
      him every day as if that were the last one.

      You clearly felt that way about Rhapsody.

      Those of us who love our animals do our best for our animal companions,
      Jim, and you have certainly done that for Rhapsody. That's all that can be
      asked or expected.

      Losing them is the extraordinarily high price we pay for the blessing we've
      had of sharing their lives, loving them, doing our best for them and
      enjoying the joy and unconditional love they give us in return. While the
      emotional cost of losing them is high, there's no question that it's worth the
      risk.

      You have my most sincere condolences for your enormous loss.

      While this poem more specifically addresses the act of euthanasia, and I'm
      uncertain whether Rhapsody went to The Bridge on his own or you had to help
      him, nevertheless this thought has great meaning in any instance of losing
      a best feline friend, and every time I lose one of mine, I reread it for
      comfort. I hope it does the same for you.

      Warmest regards and much sorrow.

      Dick Weavil

      The Last Battle
      If it should be that I grow frail and weak
      And pain should keep me from my sleep,
      Then will you do what must be done,
      For this — the last battle — can't be won.
      You will be sad I understand,
      But don't let grief then stay your hand,
      For on this day, more than the rest,
      Your love and friendship must stand the test.
      We have had so many happy years,
      You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
      When the time comes, please, let me go.
      Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
      Only, stay with me till the end
      And hold me firm and speak to me
      Until my eyes no longer see.
      I know in time you will agree
      It is a kindness you do to me.
      Although my tail its last has waved,
      From pain and suffering I have been saved.
      Don't grieve that it must be you
      Who has to decide this thing to do;
      We've been so close — we two — these years,
      Don't let your heart hold any tears.
      — Unknown