ARVC

  • Jenny Weekes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2013
      Hi there,

      I have had ARVC diagnosed in my breeding lines and have desexed the affected
      line. I had two cats I bred die at about 4 ½ years which started me looking
      for answers. Scanning showed my primary breeding girl had scarring on the
      right side of her heart, which led me to desex her and her daughters. Since
      then I have had the two older girls scanned and one is showing signs and the
      other not. I have a younger girl who I will scan when she is about two years
      old. Her daughters had no evidence of scarring at 15 months but the one who
      showed up did so at about 2 yrs 3 months which was about the same age as
      her mother when I had her scanned initially. The mother of my older breeding
      girl and her maternal grandfather scanned totally clear but I don’t have
      access to her father to have him scanned.

      Just wondering if anyone has experience with this condition at all. No one
      is showing an symptoms and the second scan on the mother showed no change in
      six months which is positive. It would be interesting to hear from anyone
      who has been down this path. Both of the cats that I bred and sold as pets
      who died went a similar way, deteriorating rather rapidly into congestive
      heart failure. Everyone has been seen by a veterinary cardiologist.

      Cheers

      Jenny

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2013
        Hi Jenny

        I hadn't heard of this in cats, although it affects boxer dogs. None of my
        cats have this so I have no personal experience. It's when muscle tissue is
        changed to other types of tissue and I think it is treated in boxers by
        drugs and omega 3. I wonder if omega 3 would help cats, I would ask the
        cardiologist what dose and if it would be ok. In boxers it can also be picked up
        by an ECG as the heart rhythm is wrong.

        It is caused by a mutation like other cardiomyopathies, but these can also
        happen spontaneously, so it may be an unfortunate mutation which has
        appeared in your lines and is possible the earlier generations may not have it
        which might explain the older cats. To appear like this , it must be a
        dominant gene and you are right to have them neutered to breed it out. I have
        neutered my entire line as well due to HCM.

        I hope someone else replies soon.