Re: [FH] Rhapsody didn't make it after all

  • karenborga@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
      Oh Jim,

      I am so sorry for your loss of precious Rhapsody.
      This horrible heat wave has been very hard on so many.
      Please know that Rhapsody knows everything you did for him and he is grateful for your loving care.

      I'm assisting in the Sunday pet loss chat, 2-4 PM eastern.
      I hope you have a chance to attend.

      ((( Hugs ))) and tears for you.

      Karen, Asst. Host (Sun)
      Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support
      Visit http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.

      ******

      ....Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to save him.

      I am devastated.

      Jim Sinclair

      jisincla@...
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
    • marianna.mayer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
        Oh, Jim! I am so terribly terribly sorry to read your news. I don't think there has been another person who has tried to do more or who has been as dedicated or willing to educate him or herself in an effort to help their beloved animal. What a miracle you have been for Rhapsody all along the way. I have such respect for your dedication. I so wish Rhapsody could have pulled through. I know you both did your very best.
        Please take good care of yourself.

        Marianna

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
          <<Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after
          running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to save him. I
          am devastated. Jim Sinclair jisincla@...>>

          Jim,

          Been there, done that, many times. I've lost all but four of my fifteen
          cats, many due to similar emergency situations, and I truly feel your pain. I
          currently have a 15 y.o. HCM/RCM kitty who I adore, and who shows no
          clinical symptoms and acts healthy ..... but he is a ticking time bomb. I love
          him every day as if that were the last one.

          You clearly felt that way about Rhapsody.

          Those of us who love our animals do our best for our animal companions,
          Jim, and you have certainly done that for Rhapsody. That's all that can be
          asked or expected.

          Losing them is the extraordinarily high price we pay for the blessing we've
          had of sharing their lives, loving them, doing our best for them and
          enjoying the joy and unconditional love they give us in return. While the
          emotional cost of losing them is high, there's no question that it's worth the
          risk.

          You have my most sincere condolences for your enormous loss.

          While this poem more specifically addresses the act of euthanasia, and I'm
          uncertain whether Rhapsody went to The Bridge on his own or you had to help
          him, nevertheless this thought has great meaning in any instance of losing
          a best feline friend, and every time I lose one of mine, I reread it for
          comfort. I hope it does the same for you.

          Warmest regards and much sorrow.

          Dick Weavil

          The Last Battle
          If it should be that I grow frail and weak
          And pain should keep me from my sleep,
          Then will you do what must be done,
          For this — the last battle — can't be won.
          You will be sad I understand,
          But don't let grief then stay your hand,
          For on this day, more than the rest,
          Your love and friendship must stand the test.
          We have had so many happy years,
          You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
          When the time comes, please, let me go.
          Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
          Only, stay with me till the end
          And hold me firm and speak to me
          Until my eyes no longer see.
          I know in time you will agree
          It is a kindness you do to me.
          Although my tail its last has waved,
          From pain and suffering I have been saved.
          Don't grieve that it must be you
          Who has to decide this thing to do;
          We've been so close — we two — these years,
          Don't let your heart hold any tears.
          — Unknown