Rhapsody didn't make it after all

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
      It may have been the days of sweltering heat. The stress of
      yesterday's ill-fated attempt to get him some relief may or may not
      have made it worse. It may have been progression of his pulmonary
      disease unrelated to the weather or the events of yesterday afternoon.
      It might even have been FIP, which has been mentioned several times by
      vets but considered unlikely because cats with FIP don't often live as
      long as Rhapsody did.

      Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after
      running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to
      save him.

      I am devastated.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
        Jim,

        I am so very sorry to read this. I don't comment much on this list, but I
        have read your emails and all you have done to give Rhapsody the best life
        you could. He was lucky to have you fighting so fiercely for him. Someone
        reminded me recently that sometimes the miracle isn't a cure, it's finding
        yourself loved and cared for by a heart big enough, and willing enough, to
        pay the price for love. Rhapsody had that with you.

        I hope the grief you feel now is replaced with happy memories of the time
        you had together.

        Hugs,

        Sue & Boo

      • karenborga@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
          Oh Jim,

          I am so sorry for your loss of precious Rhapsody.
          This horrible heat wave has been very hard on so many.
          Please know that Rhapsody knows everything you did for him and he is grateful for your loving care.

          I'm assisting in the Sunday pet loss chat, 2-4 PM eastern.
          I hope you have a chance to attend.

          ((( Hugs ))) and tears for you.

          Karen, Asst. Host (Sun)
          Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support
          Visit http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.

          ******

          ....Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to save him.

          I am devastated.

          Jim Sinclair

          jisincla@...
          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
            Oh, Jim! I am so terribly terribly sorry to read your news. I don't think there has been another person who has tried to do more or who has been as dedicated or willing to educate him or herself in an effort to help their beloved animal. What a miracle you have been for Rhapsody all along the way. I have such respect for your dedication. I so wish Rhapsody could have pulled through. I know you both did your very best.
            Please take good care of yourself.

            Marianna

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
              <<Whatever the cause, he died shortly before 3:00 this morning, after
              running up a final $500 emergency room bill in a futile attempt to save him. I
              am devastated. Jim Sinclair jisincla@...>>

              Jim,

              Been there, done that, many times. I've lost all but four of my fifteen
              cats, many due to similar emergency situations, and I truly feel your pain. I
              currently have a 15 y.o. HCM/RCM kitty who I adore, and who shows no
              clinical symptoms and acts healthy ..... but he is a ticking time bomb. I love
              him every day as if that were the last one.

              You clearly felt that way about Rhapsody.

              Those of us who love our animals do our best for our animal companions,
              Jim, and you have certainly done that for Rhapsody. That's all that can be
              asked or expected.

              Losing them is the extraordinarily high price we pay for the blessing we've
              had of sharing their lives, loving them, doing our best for them and
              enjoying the joy and unconditional love they give us in return. While the
              emotional cost of losing them is high, there's no question that it's worth the
              risk.

              You have my most sincere condolences for your enormous loss.

              While this poem more specifically addresses the act of euthanasia, and I'm
              uncertain whether Rhapsody went to The Bridge on his own or you had to help
              him, nevertheless this thought has great meaning in any instance of losing
              a best feline friend, and every time I lose one of mine, I reread it for
              comfort. I hope it does the same for you.

              Warmest regards and much sorrow.

              Dick Weavil

              The Last Battle
              If it should be that I grow frail and weak
              And pain should keep me from my sleep,
              Then will you do what must be done,
              For this — the last battle — can't be won.
              You will be sad I understand,
              But don't let grief then stay your hand,
              For on this day, more than the rest,
              Your love and friendship must stand the test.
              We have had so many happy years,
              You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
              When the time comes, please, let me go.
              Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
              Only, stay with me till the end
              And hold me firm and speak to me
              Until my eyes no longer see.
              I know in time you will agree
              It is a kindness you do to me.
              Although my tail its last has waved,
              From pain and suffering I have been saved.
              Don't grieve that it must be you
              Who has to decide this thing to do;
              We've been so close — we two — these years,
              Don't let your heart hold any tears.
              — Unknown