Re: [FH] New

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
      Hi.  I am sorry to hear of the dx and even more sorry to hear of the comment made by another group's member.  Let me correct them....

      My Boo went into CHF Oct 2011.... no idea she had a heart issue until she was fighting for her life (and you will hear this from most group members... usually it goes undetected until crisis hits).  Boo was also diagnosed with DCM (very rare in kitties).  She fought for 3 days in oxygen and survived. Not only that she became stabilized on her meds and this Oct will be 2 yrs! since she was given "months at best".  Did I mention that other than her daily meds you wouldn't even know she was ill?  Yes, every kitty is different but there is absolutely no reason to be without hope.
      DCM can be an indicator of insufficient Taurine.  Was a blood test done to test his Taurine level?  If you ruled that out, there are meds that I would talk to the cardiologist about.  The diuretic I assume is Lasix?  This is very important as this helps fluid not to build up resulting in labored breathing.   I would talk to the cardio about adding Pimobendan once he is stabilized on the other meds.  There is not much research on cats but it has been a life-saver for dogs with DCM.  Most kitties in the group are not suffering DCM yet still swear by this drug.  I really believe it saved Boo's life and is worth trying.  Just for reference Boo receives Lasix, Plavix, Benazepril and Pimobendan.

      I believe someone else already mentioned monitoring his resting respiratory rate.  This is very important as it will alert you to any problems.  Get to know what is normal for him at rest, usually in the mid 20s.  Anything above 30 is cause for concern and over 40 is an emergency.

      I do not have to balance Hyper-T with Boo's heart so I can't offer advice there but I am sure others will.

      Take a deep breath.... I promise in time it will get easier... right now you are probably shocked by the dx and trying to learn all you can to help him.  As someone else mentioned, he doesn't know he is sick so keep him stress free by trying to keep your stress level down. I know easier said than done.  We are here for you... so keep us updated! :)

      Laurie and Boo

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
        Hi there

        HCM can be caused by uncontrolled hyperthyroid and can get better when the
        HT is under control. It is very likely his HCM is made worse by that and
        may get better as the HT is treated. Aspirin or another anti clotting is a
        good idea.

        There is no prognosis for HCM. My Trixi had a few months to live at age 12
        weeks. She is 7 years next month. Once heart failure is stabilised , cats
        can do very well and it sounds as if the diuretics have worked. There are
        other medications that would help too if needed to help the heart.

        Learn his normal breathing pattern and rate when he is resting. Then
        anything different can be noticed quickly. Over 30 breaths per minute is vet
        time, over 40 is emergency. This is at rest, but the most important is a change
        from normal. My elderly stripey boy, Josh, balances HT, HCM and kidney
        disease and has done for over 5 years.