suffering in the heat

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
      Hi everybody -- we talked about this last summer. This heat is really seriously hard on our heart kitties. Everybody needs at least one room where there is air conditioning, and if it's really hot, you may have to lock your kitty in that room to make sure she stays cool.

      I know when I need to turn mine on when I see Tigger on the floor spread out like a pancake -- that's when I know he's too hot. Heat affects breathing and heart rhythm. I have an autoimmune lung disease, and when the power went out the last time in the summer I almost had to go to the hospital, I could barely breathe. Heat kills more Americans each year than any other weather phenomena, including hurricanes, tornadoes and floods put together.

      Even shorthair cats have a huge hot fur coat on, and they can't take it off. Please make it easier on them -- you can get a one-room a/c for just a couple hundred dollars at Sears or big box stores.

      Heart kitties are especially suffering in this weather, please keep them cool!!

      take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too in hot sticky Toronto

    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
        So true. I know that A/C might be financially out of reach for many (heart
        kitties are expensive!) but you can make a DIY air conditioner from a box
        fan for pretty cheap. My husband made one for us during fire season when
        we couldn't use our swamp cooler (desert air conditioning for those who
        don't know). The basic instructions are here (http://www.instructables
        .com/id/Hollis-homemade-AC/) though my husband altered one or two things to
        make it work better. If anyone in interested in his tweaks, email me and I
        will send them along. It easily cools one room.

        Lisa

        On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Westgold <westgold@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi everybody -- we talked about this last summer. This heat is really
        > seriously hard on our heart kitties. Everybody needs at least one room
        > where there is air conditioning, and if it's really hot, you may have to
        > lock your kitty in that room to make sure she stays cool.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
          Hi Michelle,

          I've had no luck with the gang and a/c. Last year when Fuzz was diagnosed, I bought an a/c for him. I put it upstairs in a spare room at the top of the stairs. Do you think any of the 6 would even go upstairs to lay? Nope. I also bought a floor fan to shoot the cold air downstairs and at night I move the fan to shoot down the hall where my bedroom is. I put it in again earlier this week (I'm in Buffalo suffering like you) and again nobody. Fuzz is laying on the TV stand which is glass, so I know he's hot, and he's the fuzziest of The Fuzzies, but no way. I've been watching his resp and heart rate like a hawk and he's fine. Nobody sprawls out like Tigger, thankfully. I sure wish they'd appreciate what I bought for them!

          One more day and we should be done with this!

          Dana & Fuzz

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
            aw, they just want to be where YOU are, not in some far-away room by themselves. If you went up there and watched TV or read in that room, they would join you. Or move the a/c to the living room window.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
              Well, I tried to take Rhapsody to cool off in air conditioning during
              the hottest part of this afternoon, and I nearly killed him in the
              process!

              It was 90F in my bedroom, according to the thermometer on my atomic
              clock. Rhapsody had eaten breakfast earlier, licked his bowl clean,
              groomed himself, and even briefly played with a ping pong ball. But as
              afternoon wore on and the temperature climbed, he was just lying on
              his side breathing fast (but not open-mouthed).

              I had an errand to do at the university, and the staff there know I
              don't have air conditioning and had invited me to come work in their
              nice cool office for a while. I packed up my laptop and the paperwork
              I had to do, and set off. I thought it would be a good thing to take
              Rhapsody with me, so he could also spend some time in the nice cool
              air conditioned office. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

              But my van doesn't have a working air conditioner either, and I'm sure
              the temperature inside it was at least 120F, possibly even higher.
              Rather than cook Rhapsody in the van just to drive him to an air
              conditioned office, I decided to leave the van in the driveway and go
              to campus (a couple of miles away) in my power wheelchair. I don't use
              the wheelchair inside the house. It stays in my van so I can use it
              when out and about. I didn't even bring Rhapsody into the ovenlike van
              for the few minutes it took to deploy the wheelchair lift and get the
              chair out. I let him stay in the shade of the front porch while I got
              the chair.

              Then off we went. I started out holding Rhapsody on my lap, wearing
              his harness and with the leash looped over the arm of the wheelchair.
              He quickly scrambled to his preferred perch under the wheelchair seat,
              on top of the battery box. (There's no risk of electrocution there.
              The batteries and cables are secured inside the box. The wheel motors
              are also safely contained where no feline body parts can get injured
              on them.)

              About halfway to the university, while crossing through a park, I
              leaned over and peeked under the seat to see how Rhapsody was doing.
              YIKES! He was panting heavily with gaping open mouth. I stopped my
              chair in a shady spot under a tree, got down on the ground, and
              dragged Rhapsody out. In the process I discovered that the space
              between the battery box and the chair seat had trapped a pocket of hot
              air from inside my van. I had left the van home so as not to cook
              Rhapsody on a 5-minute drive from home to campus, and the silly cat
              had cooked himself in a pocket of van-heated air for the much longer
              time it took to travel by wheelchair instead of by van!

              I put Rhapsody on the grass in the shade. He kept trying to go back
              under the chair seat. I wouldn't let him. After a while he was no
              longer gasping, so I held him firmly on my lap and continued on,
              stopping at a drinking fountain to wipe some cool water on his paw
              pads, ears, and tongue.

              The rest of the way to campus I stayed in shade as much as I could,
              and ended up leaning over him to shield him from direct sun when there
              was no shade. Still, he was panting heavily by the time we got there.
              Before arriving at the building that was my destination, I ducked into
              a building next door where there's a food place, and asked for some
              ice water. I took some napkins and again cooled down Rhapsody's paw
              pads, and wiped down his head and back. Black fur really sucks in
              solar heat! We stayed in that building until Rhapsody once again
              stopped panting and was breathing with his mouth closed. During this
              time I called my vet's office for cat-cooling instruction.

              After Rhapsody was breathing better again, I draped some wet napkins
              over his back, stuffed some more under his paws, and went back out
              into the heat to the building I'd been aiming for all along. As soon
              as I wheeled into the office I asked for a towel or a t-shirt soaked
              in cool water. Two people ran and got us more wet paper towels (not
              realizing I already had ice water and napkins), and one person ran to
              get and soak a t-shirt. I put Rhapsody on the floor in the nice cool
              office and wrapped him in the shirt. (Photo at
              https://twitter.com/JimSinclair8/status/358310796645781504/photo/1)

              Thank goodness Rhapsody recovered quickly and was soon breathing
              closed-mouthed and more slowly than he had all day. He shook off the
              t-shirt, groomed himself, and ate a treat I offered him. I called my
              vet's office again and updated them.

              One of the people at the office gave us a ride home in her
              air-conditioned car. I had to leave my wheelchair at the office and
              will need to go back in my van to retrieve it.

              Now Rhapsody has had his weekly vitamin B injection, given with about
              100 ml of subQ fluid (B complex injections sting unless diluted in
              lots of fluid) and has eaten his dinner, and is once again lying on
              his bed breathing fast but not open-mouthed.

              I *tried* to get him some relief from the heat!

              Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
            • karenborga@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2013
                Jim,

                Oh my gosh!
                Wow and great job with emergency cooling for Rhapsody.

                Thank you for sharing your story.
                Rhapsody is a good kitty to pose for a t-shirt cooling photo.

                (( Hugs )) to Rhapsody and you!

                Karen

                *****

                Jim wrote:
                Well, I tried to take Rhapsody to cool off in air conditioning during the hottest part of this afternoon, and I nearly killed him in the process!....

                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2013
                  What a day for Rhapsody! I hope he is all settled now and back to normal.
                  It's so scary when they crash like that. My Josh had that this morning at
                  the vets, sudden hiss and open mouth breathing. A fan cooled him down and
                  he's fine now. Hope you are ok too!

                  Lyn:)