amlodipine and benazepril

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18 5:04 AM
      I was just reading in an FDA publication, and then later on drugs.com that the drugs amlodipine and benazepril should not be give to patients with kidney and heart disease. So does anyone know if these drugs are safe for heart patients? If the information I was reading strictly for human use and does not apply to cats? Martha is on both of these drugs and has been for over a year. This has me very concerned.

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18 6:03 AM
        Hi Lynda

        5 of my heart cats have taken benazepril for up to 7 years and have had no
        problem whatsoever. It helps their hearts. It does lower heart rate
        slightly and blood pressure. Amlodipine lowers blood pressure too so I am thinking
        the study is talking about heart patients who can't have blood pressure
        medications. Benazepril has never harmed my cats, no side effects and they
        are all outliving their prognosis. I have never given a heart cat amlodipine
        though so no idea on that.