Help please re Kitty

  • marina
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hello Everyone,

      Quick question re my kitty, Kitty.

      Here in Florence, it's very hot and humid and I have no A/C. Tonight and a few days ago, Kitty was heaving and I thought it was a hairball but instead, she threw up some saliva.. Clear, no food, small amount ( 2x) and it wasn't after pilling ( now only in the morning and evening). She did this a few days ago as well.

      I called the vet and he thinks it could have something to do with her kidney function and then said she should be taking something to settle her stomach? I thought this was strange as she's been on her meds since Feb. She is eating, drinking and functioning normally otherwise. Vet said it might have to do with her kidneys. Last time her blood was checked was in April and her kidney values were a bit elevated. The vet suggested that she change to prilactone instead of Diuren ( Lasix).

      I thought perhaps it was due to the heat.

      Any thoughts? Sometimes I question the vet as he is not a cardiologist.

      Thank you so much for any insight you can provide.

      Baci from Marina and Kitty
    • Kimberly Coleman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
        Hi Marina,
        Occasionally Bailey will do that too. I cannot speak to all cats who vomit clear liquid but in my boys case it has been either constipation developing or upset tummy. Some meds, like Plavix, nauseate him from time to time. I give him a quarter of a 10mg Pepcid 30 min after his Plavix a couple days in a row and it typically resolves.

        Not sure about kidney connection but a quick blood test to check renal values could tell. My cardiologist always checks electrolytes too since Bailey is on Lasix.

        Prayers for you and and kitty.

        Kimberly

        Sent from my iPad
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
          Hi Marina,

          My heart kitty Sheba, occassionally will have vomiting episodes always occurring in the early morning hours (3-5am). Sometimes there is hair in there, sometimes not.

          For Sheba it is bilicous vomiting http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_bilious_vomiting_syndrome#

          If i make sure she has food in her bowl so she can eat in the wee morning hours, this will curtail the issues. However, sometimes she does require Pepcid in the evening just before bed for 1-3 days to stop the occurrence.

          Good luck,
          Jordan and Sheba