aorta membrane & slow heart rate

  • acidsoda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      Ziggy has been doing very well since his struggle with RCM two years ago. He just had his yearly echo recheck and his echo is very similar to what it was last year. However, there are two things that were present last year as well as this year that we are concern about and not sure what they mean for him. The first is the slow heart rate(130bpm), which can result from hypertension if I remember correctly what the cardiologist said, but Ziggy does not have hypertension. The second is that the membrane in his aorta is uneven/wavy. The cardiologist said this is very rare, something she has not seen before so she really isn't sure what to make of it. She said it could mean that the membrane is weakening away or it may be a disease, and in both cases, the membrane could rupture and the situation would be immediate and irreversible. Ziggy is doing so well right now, the thought of what could happen really frightens us. Has anyone heard of abnormal/wavy membrane and what we could do about it?

      Thanks,
      Zoe
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
        Hi ZOe

        I`ve never heard of that at all, I know aortic stenosis but not a wavy
        membrane. I can only assume that means some areas are thickened and some are
        thin?Is Ziggy on drugs that can reduce the heart rate, like atenolol? I hope
        someone replied, I`m curious too. I remember Milli has high aortic pressure
        and hardening but was never described as wavy

      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
          Zoe,

          I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but check this out
          http://www.scribd.com/doc/36444014/Cardiovascular-Disease-in-Small-Animal-Me
          dicine and look on page 40 under the sub-heading EVALUATION OF INTRATHORACIC
          BLOOD VESSELS where they say that older cats might have a wavy, undulating
          appearance to the thoracic aorta. I think they are talking about x-rays,
          which could mean something very different from what is seen on the echo, or
          maybe not..

          Maybe your cardiologist can consult another veterinary cardiologist or one
          for humans. It would be good to know what it means

          Mary Sue

          ... The second is that the membrane in his aorta is uneven/wavy. The
          cardiologist said this is very rare, something she has not seen before so
          she really isn't sure what to make of it. She said it could mean that the
          membrane is weakening away or it may be a disease, and in both cases, the
          membrane could rupture and the situation would be immediate and
          irreversible. Thanks,
          Zoe