Marlow update, and question

  • kathleen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2013
      Thank you to everyone for continuing to help me and Marlow through his medical crisis. I can't remember what I have posted, but since coming home from the hospital with 12.5 mg/lasix, twice a day, and his regular atenolol dose, Marlow has still not acted himself. We went to the vet yesterday because I suspected he was dehydrated, and she took blood and gave him 200 mL of sub-q fluids. About 6 hours later, he perked up, groomed himself a bunch, and even jumped up on the bed and said hello to me, purring and smiling. Since then, he has tried eating a little food, but still isn't 100%. The vet just called with his blood work, and confirmed that yesterday he was very dehydrated. She initially wanted to give him another 200 mL of fluids, today but I said that I'd prefer to try to syringe feed him watery food to help control the situation, so we don't stress him out or overhydrate him. She was okay with this plan, but said that we should take him off of the lasix because his lungs seemed to be doing just fine, and she was very worried about his kidneys. She wants us to give him a half-dose of the lasix tonight, and then not give him any tomorrow. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or is this likely to cause more trouble? Oh, and I'm cross-posting this on the assisted feeding group too for ideas.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2013
        I certainly would not do that without talking to the cardiologist first.    I would redo the blood work once Marlow is back on track to see if kidneys are truly compromised or it was due to the stress and not eating for a few days.

        Laurie