- I'm sorry to hear about Marlow. My cat went through a similar issue this month, it was very scary for me and I was close to making the decision to put my baby down because he looked so miserable.
So take heart, the meds you are on can be increased still to make him feel better and do better. I have learned that after a stressful event, like a vet visit or ER visit it takes my baby 1-2 days of seclusion in my bedroom with no sounds (Window Closed). This forces him to rest undisturbed by my daily activities. I sleep with him at night so he's not isolated. But after he rests like this he feels better. But those days can be scary, he sits in the meatloaf position with his ears back and an unhappy look on his face. I do watch his RR (Respiratory Rate)closely and alternate between 12.5mg Lasix twice a day and three times a day depending on where he is.
When we had a bad time this month we were going to the vet every other day, he wasn't eating and they gave him Mitizaphe (sp?) which sent him into full CHF event, that took another 2 weeks to recover from. So I don't recommend giving an appetite stimulant. The vet told me if he just eats 1/2 of a small can she'd be happy. He ate less than that, maybe 1/4 can for a week, even on this small amount he gained back some weight. He eats more as he feels better, so don't get too freaked if he's not eating much when he's not feeling weel.
So just know that Cats don't want to eat when their breathing is difficult. I give treats just to get something down them, gravy or baby food works too. Try a variety.
Let him rest in a quiet room away from other cats and household activity for a few days.
Be patient, the meds will work but it can be agonizingly slow sometimes.
Hoping for the best,
Rose & Baxter
- Here is an update on Marlow:
First of all, thank you everyone for all of your help and support. It has made this somewhat easier.
We went to the vet today because he is still acting off and lethargic, and they gave him 200 mL of subcutaneous fluids because his skin tented, and he looked dehydrated. At the vet, he also had blood drawn for a cbc and a chemistry panel which will be ready tomorrow, and the vet listened to his lungs and heart. She graded his murmur at a 3, and said that his lungs sounded good. He is a very upset kitty right now, but hopefully he will be getting better soon.