Re: [FH] help!

  • kathleen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 9 3:57 PM
      Thanks for all of the kind thoughts, and useful advice. Marlow has returned home! I am nervous because he seems nauseous and miserable looking, but his respiration rate at home once he was relaxed is around 38, which seems okay for now. He is not interested in eating, but has only been home for an hour, so I'm going to give him some time to sleep off his big adventure. He is on 12.5 mg of lasix twice a day, and I'm hoping that helps make him feel better soon.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 9 4:06 PM
        So happy Marlow is home!  Yes he has been through a traumatic experience and it will take some time for him to bounce back.  I remember bringing Boo home after several days at the hospital in oxygen. My poor girl was not herself for awhile but she had also been sedated.

        He needs rest now more than anything.  Being home will ease his stress level and he will be eating before you know it :)

        Keep us posted!

        Laurie and Boo

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 10 4:31 AM
          Marlow still hasn't eaten, and I am extremely worried. He is just lying under the futon breathing with a normal respiration rate. It has been at least 15 hours since he has eaten, if not more. I offered him some food on a spoon, and he turned away and gagged for a second. I then syringe-fed him about 7 mL of watered-down cat food broth, which he was not a fan of, but he didn't throw it back up or gag. Is he going to starve himself to death today? I am just counting down the minutes until my regular vet can talk with me- the vets at the emergency vet hospital aren't very good, and I don't trust them with this. 30 more minutes! I really hope Marlow can pull through this, but I'm not very optimistic right now- he seems really weak, and his hatred of food can't be a good thing.
        • Cindi
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 10 4:40 AM
            Perhaps ask the vet about an anti-vomiting medication, I gave Ditto one
            that was an injection and it worked within minutes. Could he need
            pepcid a/c?

            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
            silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
            Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

            On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM, kathleen wrote:

            > Marlow still hasn't eaten, and I am extremely worried. He is just
            > lying under the futon breathing with a normal respiration rate. It
            > has been at least 15 hours since he has eaten, if not more. I offered
            > him some food on a spoon, and he turned away and gagged for a second.
            > I then syringe-fed him about 7 mL of watered-down cat food broth,
            > which he was not a fan of, but he didn't throw it back up or gag. Is
            > he going to starve himself to death today? I am just counting down
            > the minutes until my regular vet can talk with me- the vets at the
            > emergency vet hospital aren't very good, and I don't trust them with
            > this. 30 more minutes! I really hope Marlow can pull through this,
            > but I'm not very optimistic right now- he seems really weak, and his
            > hatred of food can't be a good thing.

          • rosemairew20
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 10 9:48 AM
              I'm sorry to hear about Marlow. My cat went through a similar issue this month, it was very scary for me and I was close to making the decision to put my baby down because he looked so miserable.

              So take heart, the meds you are on can be increased still to make him feel better and do better. I have learned that after a stressful event, like a vet visit or ER visit it takes my baby 1-2 days of seclusion in my bedroom with no sounds (Window Closed). This forces him to rest undisturbed by my daily activities. I sleep with him at night so he's not isolated. But after he rests like this he feels better. But those days can be scary, he sits in the meatloaf position with his ears back and an unhappy look on his face. I do watch his RR (Respiratory Rate)closely and alternate between 12.5mg Lasix twice a day and three times a day depending on where he is.

              When we had a bad time this month we were going to the vet every other day, he wasn't eating and they gave him Mitizaphe (sp?) which sent him into full CHF event, that took another 2 weeks to recover from. So I don't recommend giving an appetite stimulant. The vet told me if he just eats 1/2 of a small can she'd be happy. He ate less than that, maybe 1/4 can for a week, even on this small amount he gained back some weight. He eats more as he feels better, so don't get too freaked if he's not eating much when he's not feeling weel.

              So just know that Cats don't want to eat when their breathing is difficult. I give treats just to get something down them, gravy or baby food works too. Try a variety.

              Let him rest in a quiet room away from other cats and household activity for a few days.

              Be patient, the meds will work but it can be agonizingly slow sometimes.

              Hoping for the best,
              Rose & Baxter
            • kathleen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 11 12:23 PM
                Here is an update on Marlow:
                First of all, thank you everyone for all of your help and support. It has made this somewhat easier.
                We went to the vet today because he is still acting off and lethargic, and they gave him 200 mL of subcutaneous fluids because his skin tented, and he looked dehydrated. At the vet, he also had blood drawn for a cbc and a chemistry panel which will be ready tomorrow, and the vet listened to his lungs and heart. She graded his murmur at a 3, and said that his lungs sounded good. He is a very upset kitty right now, but hopefully he will be getting better soon.