Dehydration- fluid

  • Maggie Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013
      Hello-

      I've been told by a vet one thing and something else by another and am hoping the experienced here can clarify.

      Is a cat's fluid build-up (in our case pleural effusion) directly related to intake of food/water? ie- the less food/water intake, the slower the fluid builds?

      It seems if a cat is dehydrated/, there isn't the fluid to build.....

      Thank you...........

      Brenda
    • Cindi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013
        No, pleural effusion is not directly related to food/water intake.
        Rather it a complication caused by some medical conditions mentioned at
        the link below. My mother had pleural effusion yet was very dehydrated
        in part from low albumin secondary to malnutrition caused by chemo. She
        also had heart disease from chemo which contributed to the causes of
        pleural effusion in her case.

        http://www.excite.com/education/lawyers/what-is-pleural-effusion

        Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
        There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
        silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
        Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
        from May Eustace's Cats in Clover