Re: [FH] New to the forum

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      Welcome. It's good that you got a diagnosis -- work closely with your cardiologist. He is your best chance of Dash having a good life. There are all kinds of meds, he will help you find the right ones. And we are here to help you too. Most of our kitties here have HCM, but please keep us posted on how things are going with Dash. I think the right meds will perk him up.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        I am sorry about Dash's dx but he can be stabilized and live a good happy life with the proper meds.  Every cat is different but I don't want you to lose hope.  My little girl was diagnosed after suffering heart failure and was given months at best.  She is still here with me 20mos later!

        Work closely with your cardiologist and if you are not already, get used to taking Dash's resting respiratory rate. As an elevated one is signal of trouble.  As far as the lethargy you are seeing it will take some time for Dash's body to adjust to the meds.  I am not sure what led you to the diagnosis, but if it was traumatic that could also be reason for Dash's less than spunky behavior now.

        It is wonderful to hear you rescued Dash after 5 years at a shelter.  What a blessing for him to not only be rescued but to have your devotion to do what needs to be done to help him now.  There is a reason Dash picked you :)

        Keep us posted.

        Laurie and Boo

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
          Hello

          I am sorry to hear Dash is poorly. I think they will likely add new meds to
          help his heart at the visit today. My boy has had HOCM since he was a
          kitten for over six years and took atenolol and now they added plavix and
          fortekor. You can start Dash on 30mg CoQ from the health shop, that has helped
          all my heart cats. But once started you can't suddenly stop so if Dash ever
          needs the vet give them the capsules to give him.

          Find his resting breathing rate. See how he breathes normally when dozing.
          Then watch for changes or an increase in breathing. Those are a red flag
          for the cardiologist, over 40 per minute is an emergency. The meds he is on
          shouldn't be making him sleepy so hopefully when his heart is stable he'll
          be bouncing around again. Remember he doesn't know he's sick and please ask
          all your questions and let us know how he goes on today.

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            Hello,

            I would like to chime in along with the others. Dash has a good chance at a long, happy healthy life with proper care and medication.

            My Sheba was officially diagnosed 1 1/2 year ago, and was started on her first med, Plavix, 6 months ago. I have noticed a difference in her energy level. She does little trit trots down the hallway, and plays hide and seek behind doors. My cardiologist does not believe the Plavix has any effect on this, but I would tend to disagree. Since starting the drug, she seems more energetic to me.

            Our next follow-up visit is on July 22. He plans to do Xrays of her chest (she also has feline asthma) and only an echo if necessary. I do not think the echo will be necessary. Her asthma is well conrolled, her RRR is good, eating and feeling good.

            So . . . there is hope.

            Keep us posted,
            Jordan and Sheba