Re: [FH] Stethoscope?/Audiobook avail Rapid Interpretation of Heart and L

  • nyppsi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2013
      While I agree that training & skill are absolutely necessary to accurately
      DIAGNOSE heart & lung sounds, I also believe that a good stethoscope, even
      in the hands of a layperson, can be effectively used to DISCOVER various
      obvious possible anomalies, e.g., rasping or wheezing breathing, respiration
      rate, heart rate, some abnormal heart rhythms (a gallop is one example),
      and GI tract sounds are several examples that immediately come to mind. One
      can be alerted to certain abnormal sounds that would normally not be
      detected until the cat shows clinical symptoms, falls ill or goes to a vet for a
      routine checkup or for an unrelated additional disorder. Then one can go to
      the vet for a follow-up diagnosis. This early detection could save a cat's
      life.

      A good stethoscope also enhances the ability of someone who is
      hearing-challenged to hear these things, and for many people, is definitely worth the
      investment. For use on both animals & people.

      I have a Littman Cardio III stethoscope (a very high quality & expensive
      scope), and wear two digital hearing aids. One of the vet techs at my animal
      hospital gave me a CD with all the different heart, lung & GI tract sounds
      & has coached me on auscultation. I also have a Doppler Blood Pressure
      device & use the stethoscope to amplify the speaker sounds so I can get more
      accurate readings. My investment in a top-of-the-line stethoscope has proven
      to be a good one. Just one early detection & treatment of an issue before
      it become really severe can more than save the cost of the stethoscope in
      one vet visit.

      I do, however, absolutely agree that auscultation by a layperson should
      never be used as a tool by that person to DIAGNOSE and/or TREAT a problem. It
      should simply be used as an early warning tool that sends us to our vet
      sooner rather than later.

      Dick