RE: [FH] Airline Travel with HCM kitty

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hi Marina; I had a somewhat similar situation with my Max...dx with HCM at 11 years after going into CHF from steroids. He recovered and lived for 3.5 years more, and was mostly healthy until the last few months. We traveled back and forth from San Franciso, CA to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico every year, and I always worried that it would affect him. We left our house and traveled about 2 hours to the airport, then checked in and waited another 2 hours for the plane, just flew for 3.5, then another hour at the airport (customs, etc) and another hour to our home in Mexico, so about 9 hours in his carrier. He did great, but it did take a lot out of him...it took him about a month each way to recover his strength fully. We did not give him anything but we traveled with buprenex in case of emergency. I also traveled with his carrier open in the car and my hand in with him...it calmed him somewhat and reduced the time he was "stuffed" under the seat, (because that IS the situation now...the room is smaller than it used to be.) I also pulled him out from under the seat immediately after take off and up till landing so he had more room.
      Another thing to be careful of...we once tried to bring our 2 cats on first class, but there is even less room under those seats and the sanctioned carriers wouldn't fit! I hope you don't encounter that in business.I'm sure you have good communication with your cat...try to get the message to her of what is going on (send mental pictures, or even get a pet communicator...that's what we did) so that she's prepared for the trip and knows what to expect.Good luck...I'm sure she feels your love and will try her best to be a good girl for the trip.Judi and Angel Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: mjpalmerio@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 01:11:19 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Airline Travel with HCM kitty

      Hello Everyone,

      I would really appreciate your input regarding the following.

      Some background for those who aren't familiar with my Norwegian baby, Kitty ( 15 years) who was diagnosed with HCM ( secondary, and to what we still don't know) back in February.

      Kitty ( house kitty)was never sick a day in her life and had a seizure of some sort on Feb 19th ( clot but she was lucky as not saddle thrombosis but lost use of her hind legs for a week) and was diagnosed with HCM. She had her last ultrasound on her heart on Friday and the vet said no change from her last one in February. Good news apparently. She is on 6 pills per day ( Atenolol, Prilactone, Vasotop and Plavix) and since February seems much better ( all functions are normal).

      We are currently based in Florence, Italy ( I am American/Italian) and for the last 16 months I've been unemployed. It looks like I will need to return to the US to find work but am very worried about a move and taking Kitty on the plane with me to return back to the US.

    • Ana Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
        You need to take them in cabin with you. It is only allowed one cat per
        person in cabin. Are you flying by yourself?
        I have traveled with my cardio cat, Punky, on Air Canada and had no
        problems. In a few days we'll be taking a Delta and an Air France flights,
        I'll tell you how it goes with those airlines.
        Please tell me how can I help you on flying with them.
        Best,
        Ana
        El jul 6, 2013 8:11 p.m., "marina" <mjpalmerio@...> escribi�: