cat ckd hcm Kiki

  • terri
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hi,
      A friends cat has been treated with subq fluids and amlodipine was just diagnosed with hcm has fluid around heart, difficulty breathing.
      was off fluids several days with lasix and is dehydrated.
      She is starting enalapril tonight with 50ml fluids and lasix.
      What do you think?
      Her bun is getting too high about 80 due to dehydration with creatinine at 3
      she refuses water syringed into her mouth but does drink some.
      Thank you,
      Terri
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
        Hi Terri

        I`ve never needed to give fluids so I hope someone who has experience
        responds soon. It's a balance between the diuretic and the fluids.

      • Lynda Doty
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
          The vet was still recommending 100 mL fluid each day after Martha was diagnosed with HCM. However, I just could not do it-- She had already gone into CHF twice because of excess fluids. I have learned how to go with "my gut," and I felt 50 was okay. I only did that a short time and learned how to add water to her foods to make up the difference.  Figuring 1/4 c. = 100 mL. it's pretty easy to add 100 mL to her food. You can google this to get exact numbers.

        • Jacky
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            Hi,
            I had this happen with Coco had last few months.
            She was on Sub Q's for her CRF but then she got CHF she also was on 8 meds at the end.
            They can try giving the fluids by the kidneys instead of the shoudar neck.
            Can you add more water to the food.
            It became very complicated with Coco.
            Jacky
            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "terri" <terri28907@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > A friends cat has been treated with subq fluids and amlodipine was just diagnosed with hcm has fluid around heart, difficulty breathing.
            > was off fluids several days with lasix and is dehydrated.
            > She is starting enalapril tonight with 50ml fluids and lasix.
            > What do you think?
            > Her bun is getting too high about 80 due to dehydration with creatinine at 3
            > she refuses water syringed into her mouth but does drink some.
            > Thank you,
            > Terri

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2013
              Hi

              It's a balance of fluids and heart medications. Your friend's cardiologist
              should be able to advise. I haven't had this in my cats so I hope someone
              else can help with advice on fluids.