Re: [FH] Re: Stethoscope?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
      I agree with Jim,

      Mine was a simple medical student one from Ebay. I use it to check heart
      rate and to listen to breathing. I think it's more to pick up something new
      and different like a wheeze or crackling in the lungs, but mostly my cats
      have shown increased breathing or change in breathing when they had problems.
      If you have a normal cat and a heart cat, you can more easily pick up lung
      wheezes.

    • bingley50
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2013
        I agree with you on the necessity of the skill and medical training, but there is an audio book available on Amazon that would be of interest even for laypersons. I haven't bought it yet, but it was recommended by a vet to her vet tech class. It's called "Rapid Interpretation of Heart and Lung Sounds: A Guide to Cardiac and Respiratory Auscultation in Dogs and Cats" by Smith, Keene, and Tilley. It is approximately $61.

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0721604269/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

        Heather & Spirit (hcm kitty) in Mass.