SubQ Fluids for a cat with heart issues????

  • Shi loh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hi FH Group-

      I wanted to know if any of you give subq fluids to your heart kitties. A few folks on another feline panel have been trying to help out a CRF kitty who has been now found to have an enlarged heart, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and fluids accumulation around her heart. I think the vet has her on Lasix, but has said to stop the subq fluids. The kitty is pretty dehydrated with a BUN of 84, as of Wednesday 7/3. Her BP is OK.

      I know it is a balancing act with the heart winning out, but I am also concerned about this kitties' kidneys. The creatinine was 3.0 on 7/3. Is it possible to give a low amount of subq fluids safely? The owner is syringe feeding the kitty, because she is not eating enough on her own. I suspect the dehydration is not helping her appetite. The kitty currently weighs 8 pounds, which is 1 pound less than what she weighed a few months ago.

      I want to encourage the kitties' owner to join this group, but she seems very overwhelmed at this point with her life in general.

      Any advice is appreciated.
      Thank you.
      -Shiloh