New member, Hello from Carlos and Cindy

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hello all,

      My cat, Carlos, began to pant last night. I took him to the emergency vet clinic, where they said that he has an enlarged heart, and some cloudiness in his lungs. He has no sign of a heart murmur, and his lungs seemed pretty clear. We followed up with our regular vet this morning, and are headed off to a cardiologist in a little bit. Not sure what all of this means, any advice? I will let you know what the cardiologist says.

      I am so scared. I just got Carlos 7 months ago, after recently losing a cat to cancer. My other cat is 20, and beginning to go downhill. Carlos is a great cat, and I really hope to not lose him. He is panting, but still eating and drinking, and his tongue and lips are still pink. He has a slight temp. He seems to be a little worse this morning, even though he was given some meds last night and this morning. He is on Prednisone 5mg twice a day, Terbutaline 2.5 mg twice a day, and Furosemide 12.5 mg twice a day.

      Thanks all,
      Cindy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2013
        Hi Cindy

        You are doing the right thing, the cardiologist. They will very likely take
        him off prednisone unless there is no alternative as it can push a cat
        into heart failure. A lot of cats come here after taking steroids. I can't
        advice until the cardiologist has diagnosed, but Carlos will likely need
        diuretics and heart medications. Please let us know what the cardiologist says