Re: Stethoscope?

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
      I'm not sure that to a person with no medical training the quality of a
      Stethoscope is going to make a tremendous amount of difference. It takes
      training to be able to hear the different sounds that one would need to
      identify different heart and lung sounds. I have been breeding many years
      and have spent much time watching my vets listen to the heart of both
      kittens and adults. The heart rate is much faster than in humans. I
      consider myself pretty intelligent medically but I would not trust myself
      to diagnose any problem with a stethoscope no matter the quality, it is the
      training of the person listening that makes the difference. If I feel
      there is a problem I am going to my vet for their professional opinion.
      Sharon
      LuvNMuffin RagaMuffins

    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
        On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Sharon <sharong9@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure that to a person with no medical training the quality of a
        > Stethoscope is going to make a tremendous amount of difference.

        Those are my thoughts too. As I wrote to someone off-list yesterday, I
        could buy the world's best stethoscope and be able to hear all sorts
        of subtle sounds with it, but if I don't understand what I'm hearing,
        it won't do me or my cats any good.

        > It takes
        > training to be able to hear the different sounds that one would need to
        > identify different heart and lung sounds.

        I got my old stethoscope primarily to make it easier to count Clipsy's
        heart rate, not to try to identify or diagnose anything. I remember
        the first time I listened to her heart with it. It was so fast! I felt
        terrible that my poor kitty's heart was racing like that--until I
        listened to a different, healthy cat's heart and found out it was just
        as fast. Yes, their heart rate really is faster than a human's!

        I now have two cats diagnosed with airway disease, one of whom
        (Rhapsody) also has mild heart disease, and I'd really like to be able
        to listen for wheezing or gurgling. Especially as Rhapsody also has
        some neurological dysfunction and often has his mouth hanging open. A
        stethoscope can help me distinguish between an open mouth due to poor
        oral muscle tone vs. an open mouth due to difficulty breathing. Gaping
        open-mouth panting or gasping is obvious without a stethoscope, but
        mouth just somewhat ajar is harder to evaluate.

        Some things my vet can also teach me to identify. That doesn't make me
        qualified to diagnose any problems, but hopefully it helps me make
        better decisions about when it's necessary to give an inhaler puff,
        call the vet, or go to the ER.

        For that I don't need a *great* stethoscope, I just need a "good enough" one.

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
          I agree with Jim,

          Mine was a simple medical student one from Ebay. I use it to check heart
          rate and to listen to breathing. I think it's more to pick up something new
          and different like a wheeze or crackling in the lungs, but mostly my cats
          have shown increased breathing or change in breathing when they had problems.
          If you have a normal cat and a heart cat, you can more easily pick up lung
          wheezes.

        • bingley50
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2013
            I agree with you on the necessity of the skill and medical training, but there is an audio book available on Amazon that would be of interest even for laypersons. I haven't bought it yet, but it was recommended by a vet to her vet tech class. It's called "Rapid Interpretation of Heart and Lung Sounds: A Guide to Cardiac and Respiratory Auscultation in Dogs and Cats" by Smith, Keene, and Tilley. It is approximately $61.

            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0721604269/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

            Heather & Spirit (hcm kitty) in Mass.