Stethoscope?

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2013
      After Clipsy was diagnosed with HCM a couple of years ago, I ordered a
      stethoscope on eBay for about $7. I now seem to have lost that
      stethoscope somewhere between my house and my mother's house. I'm
      looking on eBay to buy a new stethoscope, but I'm unfamiliar with
      stethoscope terminology and not sure how to select one. What features
      should I look for in a stethoscope for a non-professional to use at
      home for checking cats' heart rates and listening to breath sounds?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Pablo Frank
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2013
        Hi, does anyone know some site to learn to use the Stethoscope with a cat ?
        I could not find something better like this:
        http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/vet00/vet00101.htm

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
          Hi Jim

          I got the one that was for medical students. They're reasonably priced and
          choose one with a good feedback:)

        • rhywnn gaffney
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
            I would get one that has a child side and adult side. Dont get the cheep
            one but look at the ones like a cardiostaf. And i would get a used one to
            save money.
            Rhywnn
            On Jul 5, 2013 4:24 AM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Jim
            >
            > I got the one that was for medical students. They're reasonably priced and
            > choose one with a good feedback:)
            >
            > Lyn

          • Sharon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
              I'm not sure that to a person with no medical training the quality of a
              Stethoscope is going to make a tremendous amount of difference. It takes
              training to be able to hear the different sounds that one would need to
              identify different heart and lung sounds. I have been breeding many years
              and have spent much time watching my vets listen to the heart of both
              kittens and adults. The heart rate is much faster than in humans. I
              consider myself pretty intelligent medically but I would not trust myself
              to diagnose any problem with a stethoscope no matter the quality, it is the
              training of the person listening that makes the difference. If I feel
              there is a problem I am going to my vet for their professional opinion.
              Sharon
              LuvNMuffin RagaMuffins

            • Jim Sinclair
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
                On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Sharon <sharong9@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure that to a person with no medical training the quality of a
                > Stethoscope is going to make a tremendous amount of difference.

                Those are my thoughts too. As I wrote to someone off-list yesterday, I
                could buy the world's best stethoscope and be able to hear all sorts
                of subtle sounds with it, but if I don't understand what I'm hearing,
                it won't do me or my cats any good.

                > It takes
                > training to be able to hear the different sounds that one would need to
                > identify different heart and lung sounds.

                I got my old stethoscope primarily to make it easier to count Clipsy's
                heart rate, not to try to identify or diagnose anything. I remember
                the first time I listened to her heart with it. It was so fast! I felt
                terrible that my poor kitty's heart was racing like that--until I
                listened to a different, healthy cat's heart and found out it was just
                as fast. Yes, their heart rate really is faster than a human's!

                I now have two cats diagnosed with airway disease, one of whom
                (Rhapsody) also has mild heart disease, and I'd really like to be able
                to listen for wheezing or gurgling. Especially as Rhapsody also has
                some neurological dysfunction and often has his mouth hanging open. A
                stethoscope can help me distinguish between an open mouth due to poor
                oral muscle tone vs. an open mouth due to difficulty breathing. Gaping
                open-mouth panting or gasping is obvious without a stethoscope, but
                mouth just somewhat ajar is harder to evaluate.

                Some things my vet can also teach me to identify. That doesn't make me
                qualified to diagnose any problems, but hopefully it helps me make
                better decisions about when it's necessary to give an inhaler puff,
                call the vet, or go to the ER.

                For that I don't need a *great* stethoscope, I just need a "good enough" one.

                Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
                  I agree with Jim,

                  Mine was a simple medical student one from Ebay. I use it to check heart
                  rate and to listen to breathing. I think it's more to pick up something new
                  and different like a wheeze or crackling in the lungs, but mostly my cats
                  have shown increased breathing or change in breathing when they had problems.
                  If you have a normal cat and a heart cat, you can more easily pick up lung
                  wheezes.

                • bingley50
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2013
                    I agree with you on the necessity of the skill and medical training, but there is an audio book available on Amazon that would be of interest even for laypersons. I haven't bought it yet, but it was recommended by a vet to her vet tech class. It's called "Rapid Interpretation of Heart and Lung Sounds: A Guide to Cardiac and Respiratory Auscultation in Dogs and Cats" by Smith, Keene, and Tilley. It is approximately $61.

                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0721604269/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

                    Heather & Spirit (hcm kitty) in Mass.