Re: [FH] Re: Safe tranquilizer for an HCM kitty?

  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2013
      Karen,

      If it helps, when we were shopping for our house, that the owners had two
      dogs was a big draw for us. It made the house seem more homey for us
      dog/cat people. :-)

      Good luck,

      Sue

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hi Katey

        The benzodiazepines are the most effective for travel and vet anxiety. These are the drugs that usually end in -pam or -lam. Lorazepam and alprazolam are two that are often used for cats; the dose is titrated up (so you do 'test doses' at home till you find the right dose for your kitty) so you don't overdose or underdose. I'd talk to your vet or cardiologist about this, regardless of whether or not you're moving, because no cat deserves to have such anxiety for the vet. Some cats are so scared that they defecate on themselves -- you have to be incredibly scared, and feel incredibly threatened, to lose bowel control -- and there's no need for this. Using anti-anxiety meds can help these cats tremendously. It can also help fractious cats, who are generally fractious because they are so darn scared.

        For anyone with an anxious or fractious cat, ask the vet about anti-anxiety medication and then find the right dose. You'll test it at home till you find what works for your cat. You give the minimum dose and observe -- if nothing happens, you go up. You're looking for the cat to be affected, but not doped. So the cat may move more slowly, be a bit 'dull' but can still walk, still respond to you, etc. The cat shouldn't be a glazed-over lump; that's too high of a dose. Find what makes your cat 'mellow' and then make sure, on the day of any event, that the cat gets the medication before you do anything to indicate you're traveling. Wait till the medication has kicked in before you attempt to put him/her in the carrier. Once the cat is 'revved up', it's much harder to bring them back down from outer space. This is why it's better to give your cat medication at home, than need sedation at the vet; you can get away with less medication if you get it on board before the stressful event happens.

        Torb (butorphanol) is a very mild pain medication and a mild sedative. I haven't seen it work that well for very scared or very fractious cats and it doesn't seem to last that long, so if you go to a vet appointment and have given the Torb earlier, it may be wearing off before you get home. I wouldn't use it as a first-line for my own cat, I'd go straight for the benzodiazepines. If your cat needs just a touch of something, it might work and it is also heart-friendly.

        Anxiety and stress are NOT heart-friendly so heart kitties who freak out with travel and vet visits can benefit from pharmaceutical help IMO.

        Adrianna
      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
          Here's something to add to the safe tranquilizer discussion. It's a simple,
          safe, and natural product and technique (no medication involved) that might
          help with the anxiety of car rides and vet visits. My cats do well in the
          car and at vets so I haven't had to use it, but it looks pretty incredible.
          I've seen numerous videos of it being used successfully.

          http://www.clipnosis.com/default.asp

          Mary Sue

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
              Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I just wrote to the company to ask
              about research done on that.

              Mary Sue

              Hi -- would never use this for more than a couple minutes at a time -- it
              does disrupt blood circulation. I'd be afraid of it causing a clot.

              Here's something to add to the safe tranquilizer discussion. ..
              http://www.clipnosis.com/default.asp

              Mary Sue

            • Westgold
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
                Please let us know what they say. I'm sure they're safe for a few mins during an examination, but I would never restrict any blood vessels for an extended period of time. Gee, you can make your finger go to sleep by compressing the vessels for just a couple minutes! That can't be good. and it would also cause pain to the kitty. I would never use it, even for an examination. But I know it has a place for feral cats who will not tolerate an exam, etc

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
                  I just received an answer from the company that makes Clipnosis. I had asked
                  how long the clip could be left on without restricting blow flow and
                  circulation with special concerns for cats with heart disease.

                  "There have not been studies performed on cats with heart disease, so we do
                  not have exact information. Clips can be left on completely safely for 10
                  minutes at a time, with no ill effects at all according to our study. I
                  would advise to be careful, and try the clips out for a minute or two at a
                  time, and see what the response from the cat is. Additionally, I would
                  review this with your vet if there are specific medical concerns."

                  Mary Sue