Re: [FH] Re: Safe tranquilizer for an HCM kitty?

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 2:03 PM
      Yes...I also did some checking as well. Thanks! I see it also comes in a nasal spray...probably could even get it compounded via a compounding pharmacy. It might be just the thing for heart cats who are stressed horribly by travel to & from vet clinics. Will add it to my file for future reference. Big Thanks!!!

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2 5:40 PM
        Thanks for all the responses! Am having second thoughts about this move (which is in the same city just a few miles away from our current house).

        Had a showing yesterday and hubby and I loaded 2 dogs and 2 cats (including Zax) into the car for a ride while our house was being looked at. Zax yowled and screamed the entire time and finally vomited. He was so upset.

        Had another showing today. Told realtor we were not leaving house since zax was so upset. she was not happy. too bad for her (i dont mean to make her job more difficult but my pets' well-being comes first). Instead we took the dogs and cats (dogs on leash, cats in a covered playpen) outside in our yard and sat with them. Zax was much calmer as he is used to doing this. We probably looked really funny but it helped my baby boy!

        Karen
      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2 5:51 PM
          Karen,

          If it helps, when we were shopping for our house, that the owners had two
          dogs was a big draw for us. It made the house seem more homey for us
          dog/cat people. :-)

          Good luck,

          Sue

        • acrocat@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2 11:49 PM
            Hi Katey

            The benzodiazepines are the most effective for travel and vet anxiety. These are the drugs that usually end in -pam or -lam. Lorazepam and alprazolam are two that are often used for cats; the dose is titrated up (so you do 'test doses' at home till you find the right dose for your kitty) so you don't overdose or underdose. I'd talk to your vet or cardiologist about this, regardless of whether or not you're moving, because no cat deserves to have such anxiety for the vet. Some cats are so scared that they defecate on themselves -- you have to be incredibly scared, and feel incredibly threatened, to lose bowel control -- and there's no need for this. Using anti-anxiety meds can help these cats tremendously. It can also help fractious cats, who are generally fractious because they are so darn scared.

            For anyone with an anxious or fractious cat, ask the vet about anti-anxiety medication and then find the right dose. You'll test it at home till you find what works for your cat. You give the minimum dose and observe -- if nothing happens, you go up. You're looking for the cat to be affected, but not doped. So the cat may move more slowly, be a bit 'dull' but can still walk, still respond to you, etc. The cat shouldn't be a glazed-over lump; that's too high of a dose. Find what makes your cat 'mellow' and then make sure, on the day of any event, that the cat gets the medication before you do anything to indicate you're traveling. Wait till the medication has kicked in before you attempt to put him/her in the carrier. Once the cat is 'revved up', it's much harder to bring them back down from outer space. This is why it's better to give your cat medication at home, than need sedation at the vet; you can get away with less medication if you get it on board before the stressful event happens.

            Torb (butorphanol) is a very mild pain medication and a mild sedative. I haven't seen it work that well for very scared or very fractious cats and it doesn't seem to last that long, so if you go to a vet appointment and have given the Torb earlier, it may be wearing off before you get home. I wouldn't use it as a first-line for my own cat, I'd go straight for the benzodiazepines. If your cat needs just a touch of something, it might work and it is also heart-friendly.

            Anxiety and stress are NOT heart-friendly so heart kitties who freak out with travel and vet visits can benefit from pharmaceutical help IMO.

            Adrianna
          • Mary Sue Rubin
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3 8:21 AM
              Here's something to add to the safe tranquilizer discussion. It's a simple,
              safe, and natural product and technique (no medication involved) that might
              help with the anxiety of car rides and vet visits. My cats do well in the
              car and at vets so I haven't had to use it, but it looks pretty incredible.
              I've seen numerous videos of it being used successfully.

              http://www.clipnosis.com/default.asp

              Mary Sue

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3 12:44 PM
                  Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I just wrote to the company to ask
                  about research done on that.

                  Mary Sue

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3 12:51 PM
                    Please let us know what they say. I'm sure they're safe for a few mins during an examination, but I would never restrict any blood vessels for an extended period of time. Gee, you can make your finger go to sleep by compressing the vessels for just a couple minutes! That can't be good. and it would also cause pain to the kitty. I would never use it, even for an examination. But I know it has a place for feral cats who will not tolerate an exam, etc

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8 8:31 AM
                      I just received an answer from the company that makes Clipnosis. I had asked
                      how long the clip could be left on without restricting blow flow and
                      circulation with special concerns for cats with heart disease.

                      "There have not been studies performed on cats with heart disease, so we do
                      not have exact information. Clips can be left on completely safely for 10
                      minutes at a time, with no ill effects at all according to our study. I
                      would advise to be careful, and try the clips out for a minute or two at a
                      time, and see what the response from the cat is. Additionally, I would
                      review this with your vet if there are specific medical concerns."

                      Mary Sue