Re: Safe tranquilizer for an HCM kitty?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Karen

      I use Feliway, the cat hormone, which I spray in the basket about half an
      hour before using it, but its not a tranquiliser. Your vet might be able to
      prescribe something, Toby got valium once but it had a strange reaction
      with him and he yowled for hours with wide pupils. I have used scullcap and
      valerian from Dorwest herbs too.

    • Dana McCormick
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
        Hi Karen,
        My Fuzz gets a dose of Buprenex before vet appts. He was diagnosed a year ago and his respiration rate would go over 100 and not calm down for several hours after getting home. So we tried a Buprenex dose and he is calm with normal respirations.
        Dana & Fuzz

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
            Torbutrol is a possibility. My heart kitty, Sheba, who also has feline asthma was prescribed it once to have a non-anesthesic dental. Doc gave it to her to calm her and also for it's non-choking properties, as well.

            She did very well during her dental procedure with no ill effects. But, of course, always ask your own vet what he thinks.

          • marianna.mayer
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
              Hi, Jordan.
              Do you know I wonder if can Torbutrol can be administered orally to calm a heart kitty who is extra stress by car travel?

              Marianna

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
                Yes, I do believe it comes is both pill and injectable forms.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Yes...I also did some checking as well. Thanks! I see it also comes in a nasal spray...probably could even get it compounded via a compounding pharmacy. It might be just the thing for heart cats who are stressed horribly by travel to & from vet clinics. Will add it to my file for future reference. Big Thanks!!!

                  Marianna

                  Yes, I do believe it comes is both pill and injectable forms.

                  Do you know I wonder if can Torbutrol can be administered orally to calm a heart kitty who is extra stress by car travel?

                  Marianna

                  Torbutrol is a possibility. My heart kitty, Sheba, who also has feline asthma was prescribed it once to have a non-anesthesic dental. Doc gave it to her to calm her and also for it's non-choking properties, as well.

                  She did very well during her dental procedure with no ill effects. But, of course, always ask your own vet what he thinks.

                • kateydiddles29
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Thanks for all the responses! Am having second thoughts about this move (which is in the same city just a few miles away from our current house).

                    Had a showing yesterday and hubby and I loaded 2 dogs and 2 cats (including Zax) into the car for a ride while our house was being looked at. Zax yowled and screamed the entire time and finally vomited. He was so upset.

                    Had another showing today. Told realtor we were not leaving house since zax was so upset. she was not happy. too bad for her (i dont mean to make her job more difficult but my pets' well-being comes first). Instead we took the dogs and cats (dogs on leash, cats in a covered playpen) outside in our yard and sat with them. Zax was much calmer as he is used to doing this. We probably looked really funny but it helped my baby boy!

                    Karen
                  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2013
                      Karen,

                      If it helps, when we were shopping for our house, that the owners had two
                      dogs was a big draw for us. It made the house seem more homey for us
                      dog/cat people. :-)

                      Good luck,

                      Sue

                    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2013
                        Hi Katey

                        The benzodiazepines are the most effective for travel and vet anxiety. These are the drugs that usually end in -pam or -lam. Lorazepam and alprazolam are two that are often used for cats; the dose is titrated up (so you do 'test doses' at home till you find the right dose for your kitty) so you don't overdose or underdose. I'd talk to your vet or cardiologist about this, regardless of whether or not you're moving, because no cat deserves to have such anxiety for the vet. Some cats are so scared that they defecate on themselves -- you have to be incredibly scared, and feel incredibly threatened, to lose bowel control -- and there's no need for this. Using anti-anxiety meds can help these cats tremendously. It can also help fractious cats, who are generally fractious because they are so darn scared.

                        For anyone with an anxious or fractious cat, ask the vet about anti-anxiety medication and then find the right dose. You'll test it at home till you find what works for your cat. You give the minimum dose and observe -- if nothing happens, you go up. You're looking for the cat to be affected, but not doped. So the cat may move more slowly, be a bit 'dull' but can still walk, still respond to you, etc. The cat shouldn't be a glazed-over lump; that's too high of a dose. Find what makes your cat 'mellow' and then make sure, on the day of any event, that the cat gets the medication before you do anything to indicate you're traveling. Wait till the medication has kicked in before you attempt to put him/her in the carrier. Once the cat is 'revved up', it's much harder to bring them back down from outer space. This is why it's better to give your cat medication at home, than need sedation at the vet; you can get away with less medication if you get it on board before the stressful event happens.

                        Torb (butorphanol) is a very mild pain medication and a mild sedative. I haven't seen it work that well for very scared or very fractious cats and it doesn't seem to last that long, so if you go to a vet appointment and have given the Torb earlier, it may be wearing off before you get home. I wouldn't use it as a first-line for my own cat, I'd go straight for the benzodiazepines. If your cat needs just a touch of something, it might work and it is also heart-friendly.

                        Anxiety and stress are NOT heart-friendly so heart kitties who freak out with travel and vet visits can benefit from pharmaceutical help IMO.

                        Adrianna
                      • Mary Sue Rubin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
                          Here's something to add to the safe tranquilizer discussion. It's a simple,
                          safe, and natural product and technique (no medication involved) that might
                          help with the anxiety of car rides and vet visits. My cats do well in the
                          car and at vets so I haven't had to use it, but it looks pretty incredible.
                          I've seen numerous videos of it being used successfully.

                          http://www.clipnosis.com/default.asp

                          Mary Sue

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
                              Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I just wrote to the company to ask
                              about research done on that.

                              Mary Sue

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 3, 2013
                                Please let us know what they say. I'm sure they're safe for a few mins during an examination, but I would never restrict any blood vessels for an extended period of time. Gee, you can make your finger go to sleep by compressing the vessels for just a couple minutes! That can't be good. and it would also cause pain to the kitty. I would never use it, even for an examination. But I know it has a place for feral cats who will not tolerate an exam, etc

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
                                  I just received an answer from the company that makes Clipnosis. I had asked
                                  how long the clip could be left on without restricting blow flow and
                                  circulation with special concerns for cats with heart disease.

                                  "There have not been studies performed on cats with heart disease, so we do
                                  not have exact information. Clips can be left on completely safely for 10
                                  minutes at a time, with no ill effects at all according to our study. I
                                  would advise to be careful, and try the clips out for a minute or two at a
                                  time, and see what the response from the cat is. Additionally, I would
                                  review this with your vet if there are specific medical concerns."

                                  Mary Sue