Re: [FH] Re: HCM and the other kittens?

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
      Here is a good article on the proBNP test,

      http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pdf/en_us/smallanimal/reference-laboratories/cardiac-blood-tests-in-cats.pdf

      Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
      There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
      silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
      Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
      from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Angela Leftwich wrote:

      > The blood test is called Cardiopet proBNP-RefLab (ES) on the paperwork
      > that I have. I'm not sure if its fool proof but that was the test that
      > my cardiologist for Pixie told me to get for her brother.
      >
      > Angel & Weemo
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jun 28, 2013, at 2:22 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi -- that blood test has been found to be very unreliable, do not
      >> depend on that alone. You can google for info on the test, and we
      >> talked about it in this group last year. ----- Original Message -----
      >> From: Angela Leftwich To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday,
      >> June 28, 2013 2:05 PM
      >> Subject: [FH] Re: HCM and the other kittens?
      >>
      >> My Pixie had HCM and unfortunately passed. I had her brother tested
      >> with a blood test to see if he was prone to have it as well. It was
      >> $95 at my regular vet. He was at high risk so at that point I took
      >> him to the cardiologist for the echo. He's fine so far but will be
      >> echoed again this year. I applied online for Care Credit which helped
      >> immensely as my bills are now at $2500 from Pixie and now Weemo. It's
      >> a credit card and you can request the amount needed.
      >> Hope this helps!
      >>
      >> Angela & Weemo
      >>
      >> Sent from my iPhone

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
        Hi

        I am so sorry for your loss of your kitten. Was HCM confirmed as there are
        other heart diseases as well such as holes in the heart or aorta problems.
        HCM is a dominant gene and means if a kitten carries one copy (from either
        mum or dad) they will develop HCM highly likely at some point. So every
        sibling kitten has a 50% chance of being normal and a 50% chance of having the
        HCM gene. And sadly the only test is the ultrasound. That rate sounds
        expensive, I would look around, someone may do a bulk rate.

        Insurance doesn't normally cover testing for disease without symptoms. Any
        kitten with a new heart murmur or problems breathing would be covered for
        the test, but not healthy seeming kittens.

      • Westgold

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
            Yes, I have the same situation. Milli and Topsy had heart murmurs heard
            before they were insured, so it was a pre-existing condition. The cats who had
            murmurs after they were insured have been fully covered. Insurance only
            covers anything new, usually starting two weeks after cover starts. Instant
            kitten policies to new owners offer immediate cover but are only available
            for kittens.

          • Diana Fox
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
              You are correct..ONE echo that is clear does NOT mean the cat will not develop HCM...my breeding boy-a Maine Coon-was echoed 5 times and clear every time..also DNA typed negative, but at age 6 scan he showed borderline/mild signs of HCM and at the next scan(less than a year later) he was classified severe HCM. This disease is horrible and heart-breaking
              Diana-retired breeder- Alopeke Cattery in N. Carolina