Re: [FH] HCM and the other kittens?

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
      I'm sorry about your Baby Cat. Often the firts sympton of HCM is sudden death, it's terrible, I witnessed it myself with oen of my cats a few years ago. I'm also sorry to tell you that ONLY an echo can tell you your other cats' status. No other tests help unless/until they are in heart failure. Each kitten has at least a 25% chance of having HCM. If you can test, then you will know. If they don't have it, then you don't have to worry -- and if they have it, you can start the meds now and give them the best chance of a good long life. Only a cardiologist can help you -- but if you ask nicely, you might be able to get a special "group rate" to screen them. Please keep us posted ==

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
        HCM can not be diagnosed unless a full necropsy was performed. Also this is something normally conducted by a normal Vet but rather one specifically trained to exam the heart fibers. Also HCM can be secondary to other issues such as Hypertension, Hyperthyroid, Aortic Stenosis ect. If HCM is determined to have no other causes then its typically thought to be genetic. This gene could be passed on by the mother or the father. So I would have your cats examined by your vet to see if they are symptomatic or having issues that could be pre cursers for heart disease. I am not a vet but I breed cats and visit my Cardio Clinics at UF atleast 6 times a year. If you want more info about HCM please check my website the first link below and click on the HCM tab.

        Cheryl Kerr
        www.sphynx.us.com
        www.lykoicats.com
        www.ownedbyasphynx.com
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 28, 2013, at 11:02 AM, "daisyfieldcat" <daisyfieldcat@...> wrote:

        > Last weekend my Baby Cat (1 yr 3 mo)suddenly passed away and my local vet told me it was HCM. He said it could have possibly been passed on at birth from Mama Cat. I am concerned about Mama Cat and her other kittens. My local vet did not offer to check them out, only told me i had to have an echocardiogram done for each of them. My problem is the nearest vet to do such a test is over 100 miles away. On top of the gas money to get them there and back, I've been quoted $520 PER CAT for the test. I have 4 cats in this family that should be tested! Does anyone know of any other tests that can be done? I have looked in Embrace Pet Insurance as they say they cover genetic conditions.. but I havent been able to confirm if they cover HCM testing and treatment. Does anyone know about pet insurance? Mama and the kittens have not been examined by anyone yet, and like Baby Cat, none of them show any symptoms at all.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
          My Fuzz was diagnosed severe HCM a year ago and I had his 3 brothers get echos and they are on a 6 month recheck schedule, perhaps will be changed to annual rechecks after their July appts. 2 of them are mild-moderate, 1 is normal-mild.
          Dana

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
            In the email below Michelle says to have an echo and "If you can test,
            then you will know. If they don't have it, then you don't have to
            worry".

            This is not what I've read. What I've read reports cats that have a
            clear scan and then 6 months later (or longer) the next scan shows HCM.
            Can someone add to this topic?

            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
            silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
            Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

            On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Westgold wrote:

            > I'm sorry about your Baby Cat. Often the firts sympton of HCM is
            > sudden death, it's terrible, I witnessed it myself with oen of my cats
            > a few years ago. I'm also sorry to tell you that ONLY an echo can tell
            > you your other cats' status. No other tests help unless/until they
            > are in heart failure. Each kitten has at least a 25% chance of having
            > HCM. If you can test, then you will know. If they don't have it,
            > then you don't have to worry -- and if they have it, you can start the
            > meds now and give them the best chance of a good long life. Only a
            > cardiologist can help you -- but if you ask nicely, you might be able
            > to get a special "group rate" to screen them. Please keep us posted ==
            >
            > take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto
          • Angela Leftwich
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
              My Pixie had HCM and unfortunately passed. I had her brother tested with a blood test to see if he was prone to have it as well. It was $95 at my regular vet. He was at high risk so at that point I took him to the cardiologist for the echo. He's fine so far but will be echoed again this year. I applied online for Care Credit which helped immensely as my bills are now at $2500 from Pixie and now Weemo. It's a credit card and you can request the amount needed.
              Hope this helps!

              Angela & Weemo

              Sent from my iPhone
            • Westgold

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                  The blood test is called Cardiopet proBNP-RefLab (ES) on the paperwork that I have. I'm not sure if its fool proof but that was the test that my cardiologist for Pixie told me to get for her brother.

                  Angel & Weemo

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jun 28, 2013, at 2:22 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:

                  > Hi -- that blood test has been found to be very unreliable, do not depend on that alone. You can google for info on the test, and we talked about it in this group last year.

                • Cindi
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                    Here is a good article on the proBNP test,

                    http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pdf/en_us/smallanimal/reference-laboratories/cardiac-blood-tests-in-cats.pdf

                    On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Angela Leftwich wrote:

                    > The blood test is called Cardiopet proBNP-RefLab (ES) on the paperwork
                    > that I have. I'm not sure if its fool proof but that was the test that
                    > my cardiologist for Pixie told me to get for her brother.
                    >
                    > Angel & Weemo
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Jun 28, 2013, at 2:22 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi -- that blood test has been found to be very unreliable, do not
                    >> depend on that alone. You can google for info on the test, and we
                    >> talked about it in this group last year. ----- Original Message -----
                    >> From: Angela Leftwich To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday,
                    >> June 28, 2013 2:05 PM
                    >> Subject: [FH] Re: HCM and the other kittens?
                    >>
                    >> My Pixie had HCM and unfortunately passed. I had her brother tested
                    >> with a blood test to see if he was prone to have it as well. It was
                    >> $95 at my regular vet. He was at high risk so at that point I took
                    >> him to the cardiologist for the echo. He's fine so far but will be
                    >> echoed again this year. I applied online for Care Credit which helped
                    >> immensely as my bills are now at $2500 from Pixie and now Weemo. It's
                    >> a credit card and you can request the amount needed.
                    >> Hope this helps!
                    >>
                    >> Angela & Weemo
                    >>
                    >> Sent from my iPhone

                  • elfinmyst
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Hi

                      I am so sorry for your loss of your kitten. Was HCM confirmed as there are
                      other heart diseases as well such as holes in the heart or aorta problems.
                      HCM is a dominant gene and means if a kitten carries one copy (from either
                      mum or dad) they will develop HCM highly likely at some point. So every
                      sibling kitten has a 50% chance of being normal and a 50% chance of having the
                      HCM gene. And sadly the only test is the ultrasound. That rate sounds
                      expensive, I would look around, someone may do a bulk rate.

                      Insurance doesn't normally cover testing for disease without symptoms. Any
                      kitten with a new heart murmur or problems breathing would be covered for
                      the test, but not healthy seeming kittens.

                    • Westgold

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                          Yes, I have the same situation. Milli and Topsy had heart murmurs heard
                          before they were insured, so it was a pre-existing condition. The cats who had
                          murmurs after they were insured have been fully covered. Insurance only
                          covers anything new, usually starting two weeks after cover starts. Instant
                          kitten policies to new owners offer immediate cover but are only available
                          for kittens.

                        • Diana Fox
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                            You are correct..ONE echo that is clear does NOT mean the cat will not develop HCM...my breeding boy-a Maine Coon-was echoed 5 times and clear every time..also DNA typed negative, but at age 6 scan he showed borderline/mild signs of HCM and at the next scan(less than a year later) he was classified severe HCM. This disease is horrible and heart-breaking
                            Diana-retired breeder- Alopeke Cattery in N. Carolina