New to group - question about Plavix

  • Vickie Shaug
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2013
      Hi,

      I am new to this group.  My cat Tasha was diagnosed with congenital heart disease today. She is 18 years old and has had kidney disease for 4 years.

      My vet said that I can try Clopidogrel (Plavix) on her to see if she will take it. I was wondering if anyone had tried Pet Wellbeing - Young at Heart product and if they had had any luck with it.( I'm wondering if I should try the Pet Wellbeing product or proceed with Plavix.) My vet said that there is no proof that Plavix actually works for blood clots in cats.

      Any advice is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Vickie

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2013
        Hi Vickie

        Has Tasha had an ultrasound and seen a cardiologist? If not, I would highly
        recommend one and getting a definite diagnosis and a regime of tablets.
        Heart failure is life threatening and needs treating with lasix to remove
        fluid off the lungs (if there is fluid) but also something to aid to heart
        like Fortekor. If plavix was recommended, your vet thinks she is at risk of a
        blood clot, four of mine take it long term and we have had no further blood
        clots in the two who had a clot earlier. If Tasha wont take it, I would
        use nattokinase, Doctors Best brand (the brand must have vitamin K removed)
        and that dissolves clots. I haven't heard of the Yougn at heart product but
        I hope someone replies soon to help.

        :) Lyn