RE: [FH] Vetmedin....Diabetes?

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
      I've never heard of it until now. I did a quick search. There isn't much out
      there and the two references below are for dogs. I couldn't find anything on
      pubmed and I can't access vet journals. There were references to not using
      it in dogs with diabetes and one said it should only be used in dogs with
      well controlled diabetes. I'm going to ask the cardiologist at our next
      visit in 2 weeks. The Vetmedin prescribing information notes "abnormal serum
      electrolyte, protein, and glucose values" but doesn't say if glucose values
      are high or low.

      http://www.atlanticcoastvet.com/referring-veterinarians/referring-dvm-newsle
      tter/vetmedin/

      "Pimobendan augments exocytotic release of insulin secretory granules from
      pancreatic islet cells in a dose-dependent manner by directly sensitizing
      the intracellular Ca++-sensitive exocytotic mechanism. It has been suggested
      by some that this mechanism could lead to an increase in diabetes in
      patients chronically treated with pimobendan. There have been reports of
      diabetes developing in a few patients enrolled in pimobendan treatment
      studies. However, the significance of that occurrence is not clear."

      http://www.vetmedin.com/safety_and_dosing/record_of_safe_use.aspx

      See Important Safety Information near the bottom of the page.

      Mary Sue

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
        Hi

        Trixi has been on this for 5 years and Milli for 1 year and neither have
        had any changes in their bloods. I`ll be keeping an eye out though, thankyou
        for letting us know. That's very interesting.