Vetmedin....Diabetes?

  • Mary M
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
      Has anyone heard of Vetmedin causing Diabetes in a cat? My Smudge with a deformed heart now has Diabetes and someone told me that Vetmedin can cause it. Is that true?

      Mary & Smudge & Alice
    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
        I've never heard of it until now. I did a quick search. There isn't much out
        there and the two references below are for dogs. I couldn't find anything on
        pubmed and I can't access vet journals. There were references to not using
        it in dogs with diabetes and one said it should only be used in dogs with
        well controlled diabetes. I'm going to ask the cardiologist at our next
        visit in 2 weeks. The Vetmedin prescribing information notes "abnormal serum
        electrolyte, protein, and glucose values" but doesn't say if glucose values
        are high or low.

        http://www.atlanticcoastvet.com/referring-veterinarians/referring-dvm-newsle
        tter/vetmedin/

        "Pimobendan augments exocytotic release of insulin secretory granules from
        pancreatic islet cells in a dose-dependent manner by directly sensitizing
        the intracellular Ca++-sensitive exocytotic mechanism. It has been suggested
        by some that this mechanism could lead to an increase in diabetes in
        patients chronically treated with pimobendan. There have been reports of
        diabetes developing in a few patients enrolled in pimobendan treatment
        studies. However, the significance of that occurrence is not clear."

        http://www.vetmedin.com/safety_and_dosing/record_of_safe_use.aspx

        See Important Safety Information near the bottom of the page.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
          Hi

          Trixi has been on this for 5 years and Milli for 1 year and neither have
          had any changes in their bloods. I`ll be keeping an eye out though, thankyou
          for letting us know. That's very interesting.