RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
      A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
      equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
      inclined.

      Cindi

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
        I'm sure it would eliminate the stress factor. I wish I could afford one.
        They are upwards of $700.

        Mary Sue

        A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
        equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
        inclined.

        Cindi

        On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Shi loh wrote:

        > Hi Mary Sue-
        > On one end of the Doppler was what looked to be a sphygmomanometer,
        > like a human blood pressure cuff would have. So both the systolic and
        > diastolic could be tested. I have also heard people say they only
        > rely on the systolic for kitties. My vet said that is true to some
        > degree, but she also uses the diastolic also.
        > Take Care,
        > -Shiloh
        >
        > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: msrubin@... <mailto:msrubin%40verizon.net>
        > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:24:42 -0400
        > Subject: RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

        > Shiloh,
        >

        > That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should
        > get
        >
        > easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that
        > it's
        >
        > okay and you'll be with him.
        >

        > How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is
        > that
        >
        > only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.
        >

        > From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are
        > made
        >
        > to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different
        > situations to
        >
        > gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present.
        > Then,
        >
        > treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the
        >
        > target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical
        >
        > conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood
        > pressure. My
        >
        > vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130.
        > Maybe
        >
        > next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see,
        > they can
        >
        > jump around during the same exam.
        >

        > Mary Sue

      • Cindi
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
          I've seen used Dopplers as well as other equipment on eBay in the past.

          http://www.catsmeowvets.com/blood_pressure_monitoring.htm

          Cindi

        • Elise Eisfelder
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2013
            I wonder the same thing every day but even with me present Max is scared. I would have the same problem at home because he would be afraid of the vet and the machine. So he us in medication. I guess the fact that the BP has never registered low means he needs it but who knows? I'm happy for you!!

            Elise

            Sent from my iPhone