Re: [FH] A question

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi -- I am so sorry about your kitty. Yes, there is a genetic component to HCM. If your other kitties are siblings, they have a 25% chance of having it too. You need to see the vet and tell him that one of their sibs died of HCM. The only way to know for sure if they are all right is through an echogardiogram. An x-ray will not tell you if there is heart disease.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi Cathy

        A saddle thrombosis is a blood clot which sticks in the artery going to the
        back legs. It's not an internal bleed and is unfortunately a symptom of
        HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) or a congenital heart disorder . Cats can
        get this from any age (my two were diagnosed at 12 weeks old) but is more
        common in cats over four. It is often sadly fatal.

        I am sorry to say but any brothers or sisters have a 50% chance of this
        condition as it is inherited as a dominant gene. They should have ultrasound
        scans if possible at a cardiologist to see if they too have HCM or other
        heart defects. If they do, knowing early can mean treatment to slow the
        disease and reduce the risk of clots. Plavix is a medicine to thin the blood and
        can cause an internal bleed rarely, but there would have to be major
        arterial damage for that to happen. Five of my cats take plavix.