A question

  • catherine madejczyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
      my cat who was only 2 yrs old died 9 weeks ago he was one of 3 males that we rescued. My cat died from throm saddle clot he was plavix and the vet said he had an enlarge heart and the meds caused him to bleed intrernal.  My question is does anyone know if this disease is passed on from the mom will all 3 of my cats have this problem. The vet said my cat was too young to get this but it was rare, the age is over 7 years old and older usally. Thanks for any help in advance. Worried sick cathy

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi -- I am so sorry about your kitty. Yes, there is a genetic component to HCM. If your other kitties are siblings, they have a 25% chance of having it too. You need to see the vet and tell him that one of their sibs died of HCM. The only way to know for sure if they are all right is through an echogardiogram. An x-ray will not tell you if there is heart disease.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
          Hi Cathy

          A saddle thrombosis is a blood clot which sticks in the artery going to the
          back legs. It's not an internal bleed and is unfortunately a symptom of
          HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) or a congenital heart disorder . Cats can
          get this from any age (my two were diagnosed at 12 weeks old) but is more
          common in cats over four. It is often sadly fatal.

          I am sorry to say but any brothers or sisters have a 50% chance of this
          condition as it is inherited as a dominant gene. They should have ultrasound
          scans if possible at a cardiologist to see if they too have HCM or other
          heart defects. If they do, knowing early can mean treatment to slow the
          disease and reduce the risk of clots. Plavix is a medicine to thin the blood and
          can cause an internal bleed rarely, but there would have to be major
          arterial damage for that to happen. Five of my cats take plavix.