Lasix questions

  • Maggie Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hello-

      I have a couple questions regarding Lasix injections if anyone can help, I'd so appreciate it.

      We started giving Miles oral potassium supp last week and it created a problem w/ the GI tract so now we're trying to bypass the GI and have to give Lasix injections. I need to ask-

      1. What is the conversion of .2cc Lasix injection to mg? Miles was on 10 mg BID but it seems these injections are very strong and he's dehydrating more.

      2. Also, can Lasix injection be given via the drip port on the subq bag? My vet said it can't b/c the Lasix gets into the plastic and b/c I don't know if he read something 25 yrs ago, I need to make sure. It would make it ungodly easier if we didn't have to do more shots than needed.

      Thank you, all, for any experiences.

      Brenda
    • Cindi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
        If you look on your vial of Lasix it will say the strength - something
        like 50 mg/mL. The strength must be known before a calculation can be
        done. If your Lasix is 50 mg/mL then 0.2cc would be 10 mg.

        You could all and ask a hospital, but I'm sure when my Mom was given
        injectable Lasix they used the IV line port. I wonder if the vet is
        afraid that the dosage is so small at 0.2cc part of the medication may
        get stuck in one of the nooks? I know this is why it is not advisable
        to give Epogen injections using the IV line port.

        Cindi