Boo - troublesome swallowing

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
      Boo has been having a few rough days.... it began a few weeks back where I noticed she was eating less of her dry i/d gastro prescription diet food.  This is the food she was put on prior to her heart diagnosis several years ago.  She had chronic diarrhea and allergies... after months of B12 injections her B12 level normalized and her diarrhea disappeared.  Then she was diagnosed with DCM in Oct 2011.

      So I began to introduce some wet foods as it seemed the dry was giving her some trouble (eating less, little pieces getting stuck in her mouth).  Last checked (May 2012) her teeth were fine but anyone who has followed Boo's story knows she is not a good patient.  Both the cardiologist and I agree that unless she shows clinical signs the normal check-ups will not occur.

      She was pretty slow to eat the wet food... I did find one made by Wellness shrimp salmon and crab that she liked best... she has never even had a full 3oz but I guess her body revolted as she had horrible diarrhea yesterday.  Right away I knew it had to be the food and figured that explained the last few days of her not even wanting her "pill treats".  Her tummy didn't feel good.  She has been lethargic, not running alongside me... just not herself.  I have watched her closely and thankfully her breathing has been normal.

      I woke this morning at 5am to a strange sound and it was actually Boo swallowing but she wasn't eating.  She was sitting in an upright position and just continued to swallow over and over.  I began to get ready to take her to the ER and when I went into the hall she followed and wanted me in the kitchen to give her "pill treats".  I went with it and sure enough she gobbled them down.  Then it dawned on me that she could have had acid from an empty tummy as she only had a few dry kibbles yesterday.  I noticed that after the treats the swallowing went away, saw it once or twice since (it's been 3hrs since it all began).  She did eat a couple dry kibbles from my hand, drank water and urinated.  She has not had diarrhea since the really bad bout around 5pm yesterday.  She still seems tired but I guess the short version is this..... has anyone experienced the swallowing and should this be alarming for a cat with heart disease?

      I have been so fortunate, other than the large cocktail of pills I must give her each day, I almost forget she has this disease.  So when things change I go back to that worrisome mom all over again watching her every move.  I am just so scared to take her for a check-up after our last experience. I promised her I would never subject her to that again unless emergency.

      Thanks for listening... it was going to be a one sentence question but then figured the history around it is important too.  Before you know it a book is written :)

      Laurie and Boo

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
        Hi Laurie

        Swallowing like that can be feeling sickly or toothache, I've had both with
        my cats. It can also be a sore throat . It's good she ate something and
        the swallowing got better which might suggest an upset tummy as you guessed.
        If it continues I`d go see the vet though to rule out tooth disease. My
        Vanny was swallowing and had no signs of tooth disease at all. The vet touched
        the tooth and she yelped, the tooth came out under anaesthetic and there
        was a hole right through to her jaw skin where the infection had been.
        Hopefully just an upset tummy but a cat not wanting to eat would have me to the
        vet to check teeth.